New Tyre - Front or Back

iandennis
iandennis Posts: 238
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I'm replacing one of my durano on my winter bike, should the new tyre go on the front or back wheel ?

Thanks

Comments

• By default I always put new tyres on the rear wheel first as it is the one that wears out fastest (it carries most of the weight and if any skidding occurs, it will be on this one). It is also the tyre that is most susceptible to punctures, so having maximum tread on it helps prevent them (I am a bit phobic of punctures!).

My only reservation about this is that you want to make sure you have a good level of grip at the front of the bike, so if the tyre you are keeping is in really poor condition you should consider keeping it on the back until you change that one out as well. But, then, if it is that bad, it's probably time to replace the other tyre.

Incidentally, I am led to believe that for normal road conditions, the tread on a road tyre is largely pointless as the tyre is so narrow that unless the surface is completely polished smooth, the water is pushed out through the texture of the road surface. This may not be true for wider tyres, of course.
  • I personally think it makes no difference, but I might be swayed into thinking otherwise by a good argument. Strangely most of my punctures are front wheel ones, very rarely a rear goes to the fairy. Treads make no difference other then to tell how much rubber is still on the casing. A smooth tread will not aqua plane, but might be more sensitive to diesel laying on the road surface.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    My regime is different - rear tyres wear out quicker than front tyres (they develop a squared-off profile), so as soon as I am ready to replace that, the old front tyre goes onto the rear (with plenty of life left in it) and the new tyre goes on the front.

The front tyre is the one you want to have as much grip as possible - so new tyre up front is the way I have always done it.
  • Thanks All,

New tyre will go on the front :)
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    As is usually the case, Sheldon has the answer. :)

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html