Black Ops 2

the_fuggler
the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
The pre-order I'd forgotten about landed on my doormat yesterday. First impressions of the multiplayer are reasonably positive. I didn't feel like I was getting stitched up by the netcode very often. Good variation in the maps. Run and gun works well on some, but for others you're much better off with an assault rifle class. No sign of any quickscoping (which is already supposed to be rife according to some) and not much drop shotting either.

Anyone else going to pick up a copy?
FCN 3 / 4

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The pre-order I'd forgotten about landed on my doormat yesterday. First impressions of the multiplayer are reasonably positive. I didn't feel like I was getting stitched up by the netcode very often. Good variation in the maps. Run and gun works well on some, but for others you're much better off with an assault rifle class. No sign of any quickscoping (which is already supposed to be rife according to some) and not much drop shotting either.

Anyone else going to pick up a copy?

I'm a FPS player from the old school. I played Goldeneye to death and a few others after that, but I have no idea what the bits in bold are.
    Care to explain?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • the_fuggler
    I'll have a go!

Netcode - up to Black Ops 1, the person hosting the game had a slight advantage. With Black Ops 1, the network code was re-written to compensate the people with the worst connection, which can cause one or two players to be almost unkillable as what you see on your screen does not actually represent what the game calculates is happening. You tend to lag behind those players and they seem to kill you with one bullet or when you think you're hiding round a corner.

Run and gun - a class that allows you to sprint around the map with a short range, rapid fire gun that is good for close combat, but is worse over long distances.

Quickscoping - also known as dickscoping by those who can't stand it or can't do it - is using a sniper rifle to get a one shot kill without actually aiming properly. This can be achieved by pulling the trigger early in the aiming animation, letting the automatic aim assist target the player for you and usually resulting in a one shot kill.

Drop shotting - pressing the button to go prone just as you engage in a gunfight, leaving your opponent with a much smaller target to aim at. Takes some skill (i.e. I can't do it) but does wind some people up.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i'll just throw it out there that Halo 4 is a superior game.
  • the_fuggler
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i'll just throw it out there that Halo 4 is a superior game.

Almost certainly is, but the few of my friends that have any online gaming time left will plump for CoD. Good for some beer and banter.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • carl-of-duty-19908-1284594825-6.jpg

Sorry.
  • For me the franchise reached its peak with Modern Warfare (COD4) I’ve tried to get back into it but the multiplayer is lazy and unbalanced. With each iteration they seem to add more novelty perks and weapons which ultimately kill the flow. Single player is a joke, hate the new trend of short single player campaigns lasting around 6 hours even on higher difficulty settings and again laziness with re-spawning enemies… ugh! All about Dark Souls now, awesome game :D
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i haven't got it yet, but will be soon

im told im on a xbox ban by 'er in doors :(

i can feel man flu coming *cough* need time off work
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • the_fuggler
    I came relatively late to the series (MW2) so I've not yet had my fill. Suspect I will play less this time around though as there are a lot of good games out there, vying for ever decreasing gaming time. Forza Horizon is really enjoyable, as is NHL 13.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I came relatively late to the series (MW2) so I've not yet had my fill. Suspect I will play less this time around though as there are a lot of good games out there, vying for ever decreasing gaming time. Forza Horizon is really enjoyable, as is NHL 13.

And don't forget minecraft.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • the_fuggler
    pangolin wrote:

And don't forget minecraft.

I dare not start Minecraft...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'll play, suspect it will be disappointing though. Just finished the new Halo and nearly done on Asassins Creed. Missus hates this time of year!

Dishonored (sic) has been my favourite this year, by some margin.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    FPS belong in the domain of mice and keyboards. Console joypad jockeys should stick to rhythm games and Viva Pinata. :p

But no, I'm not getting a copy. I'm still playing Team Fortress 2, after 5 years. Just passed 1400 hours /played on it. \o/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spasypaddy
    halo online is awesome.

dishonoured didnt grab me IP, very few games do nowadays unfortunately. Halo is one of them though
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spasypaddy wrote:
    halo online is awesome.

dishonoured didnt grab me IP, very few games do nowadays unfortunately. Halo is one of them though

Dishonored only worked if you played through as a stealthy character, no kills. As a shooter it was no good.
  • spasypaddy
    right thats where i was going wrong. i cant be arsed with being stealthy. i need to trade it in as i know im not going to play it

ION the 2nd trailer for GTA5 was released 40minutes ago now that looks good
  • the_fuggler
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ION the 2nd trailer for GTA5 was released 40minutes ago now that looks good

Doesn't it just. That's the diary cleared for May to September!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    For me the franchise reached its peak with Modern Warfare (COD4) I’ve tried to get back into it but the multiplayer is lazy and unbalanced. With each iteration they seem to add more novelty perks and weapons which ultimately kill the flow. Single player is a joke, hate the new trend of short single player campaigns lasting around 6 hours even on higher difficulty settings and again laziness with re-spawning enemies… ugh! All about Dark Souls now, awesome game :D
    The franchise started out so well but it did go downhill fast when they decided that dedicated servers weren't needed anymore.

Lobby systems on PC games in my decade of experience, just don't work. It was just about acceptable with MW2,which was an interesting time for competitive play due to lack of mod ability. But it went too far towards being a console port.

That said,and having gave up league play a few years back I find myself enjoying games more,when theres no pressure to rank up for certain perks. I am quite enjoying BO2, which gives me the perfect excuse to build a new system. :D