Winter brake pads

kiwimatt
kiwimatt Posts: 208
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
The nice red squishy Halt Gooey soft compound ones I got for a bargain price have disintegrated in the autumn grit in about a fortnight...the clue was in the title I guess.
Any recommendations for something meatier for reasonable £ - just standard Shimano cartridge shoes

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Swissstop Green
    Koolstop Salmon
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    +1 swisstop green. However quality of caliper and rim maks a difference too, it's not just about the pad.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Been using Clarks triple compound pads seem to stop me okay.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get Disc Brakes!

Other than that: what dhope said.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Get Disc Brakes!

I kept quiet (until now) for fear of appearing to be a disc evangelist but +1 :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I just converted to SwissStop greens and I'm impressed - no more gritty grinding, and I can actually stop in wet weather now.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Swiss Stop Greens is is then - ordered (and resolve to join the disc 'revolution' at some future N+1 point...)
    Many thanks gents
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Just changed to Koolstop Salmon on my winter hack and loving the progressive feel and wet weather stopping ability. Not tried many other brands but very happy with these.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You've ordered what I was going to suggest, green swissstops are the bees knees. I need to get some actually, still on the original pads on my Verenti, you can tell I'm not commuting any more, still on the original pads over a year later!!!!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Get Disc Brakes!

I kept quiet (until now) for fear of appearing to be a disc evangelist but +1 :wink:

ha my wife's bike has fairly simple cable disks and she is so pleased with it, however cold and wet it stops with a gentle squeeze, so one happy wife!