That little hole in the cover of a Juicy 5 lever...

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
There's a tiny hole in the cover of Juicy Five levers - what's it there for, and why would air be coming out of it when I'm trying to bleed the brakes?

I thought the cover had corroded through and I was ready to strip the lever off and look up buying a new one, but the same hole is on the other lever and once I'd put the bleed port screw back in, the brake worked fine.

Thanks in advance...

BTM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a breath port to allow the diaphragm to move.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Does that mean the diaphragm is knackered? When I pressed the syringe to pressurise the system after bleeding it, air came out the hole. I've never noticed it doing that before.

Cheers,

BTM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The diaphragm moves to accomodate fluid level changes, if the air couldn't move out that port it would pressurise and affect brake operation, air coming in or out is as designed, otherwise no need for a hole!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.