Interesting...

Finlaz22
Finlaz22 Posts: 169
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
In my opinion, biggest upgrade you can make is getting clipless pedals/shoes and some lycra shorts/bibs + jersey. Compared to before when using toe-clips and 'normal sport gear' my average speed has gone from 16.1mph over a regular 40 mile course to 18.3mph! 8)

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    blimey thats quick, with that sort of average speed over 40 miles you should be banned from the beginners section;)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Buy some Assos gear and you'll be knocking on a 20mph average.
  • Finlaz22
    It's not exactly a leisurely route :wink: bit more all or nothing, but yeah besides the point. I have just been :shock: at how much of an improvement lycra + clipless make
  • I would attribute some of that to psychology; you will certainly feel much faster in lycra. Not to mention that you should be much more comfortable in shorts with a proper pad! But it is entirely true that lycra in preference to 'baggy' clothing will make you quicker. Not that much quicker (singly), though.

But I'm assuming that you're referring to toe clips with loose straps and trainers, rather than tightened straps and cleated shoes, which are needed to maximise the effectiveness of clips and straps. ;)
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    I found it more comfortable, but saw almost bugger all improvement in speed.
  • karlth wrote:
    I found it more comfortable, but saw almost bugger all improvement in speed.

Which is about what most people will experience. The difference between 16mph and 18mph at 40 miles is over 15 minutes; just shoes and spandex alone will not do that!

For what it's worth I don't remember noticing a notable performance difference between scrappy old trainers (with clips and straps) and SPD shoes (also with clips and straps); just a more positive feel.
  • The difference between 16mph and 18mph at 40 miles is over 15 minutes; just shoes and spandex alone will not do that!
    Wind might, over one trip?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    In my opinion, biggest upgrade you can make is getting clipless pedals/shoes and some lycra shorts/bibs + jersey. Compared to before when using toe-clips and 'normal sport gear' my average speed has gone from 16.1mph over a regular 40 mile course to 18.3mph! 8)

You should work in testing, your report is unquestionable.
  • Tests by Dr Andrew Coggan show no difference between clipless pedals, toe clips & straps or trainers on flat pedals.

http://www.academia.edu/238318/Coyle_EF ... _2622-2630
  • WIsh I noticed that much of a difference when I first used clipless!
  • Finlaz22
    I'm incredibly surprised by the increase in speed too. It was my first run of that route with clipless etc so certainly could be attributed to wind, having a good day and other factors. The previous average speed was actually the previous average over that route but having done it dozens of times I've never broken a 17mph average. The difference in feel was substantial but the increase speedwise seemed almost surreal. Anyway, have a good ride today people, just got back - wee bit icey out there!
  • Finlaz22
    Briggo wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:

You should work in testing, your report is unquestionable.

Haha, I'll consider it ;) but seriously, it was set up to be an unjustified statement - as in would this really make that much of a difference as it's shown in that single run? I was unsure, and with others suggesting factors that could also influence speed it makes more sense
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The difference between 16mph and 18mph at 40 miles is over 15 minutes; just shoes and spandex alone will not do that!
    Wind might, over one trip?

Well I had quite bad wind last night, and over the course of the ride I estimate that any additional propulsive effect was completely negated by the momentary loss in pedalling efficiency each time I had to stand up to let one rip.