Idiot down

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
My turn. Nearly home, decided to do a bit of a detour as it was so nice being back on the bike after a 3 week gap. Got to the little roundabout not far from home, scrubbed off what felt like enough speed to get round it only to hear that unwelcome sound of tyres sliding across the damp tarmac,followed quite soon after by the loud bang of bike + yours truly hitting the deck and adding a couple more yards to the journey as separate items. Bollox.

Half a dozen cuts round the hands & fingers, a large dose of skin missing from the right knee & right hip, and a nice gash on the left shin where it met the bottle holder at pace. Haven't dared look at the bike yet; I only built it up on Friday and can't face the idea of it being damaged so soon.

Stay safe kids, and don't ride like a chuffing numpty. You know it makes sense.

:(

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Bloody hell CiB. Have you not been paying attention? You're supposed to keep it rubber side down.
    In all seriousness glad you're not more badly hurt and I hope you heal fast. Obviously wish the bike all the best too.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I always dislike cycling in November, loads of allen leaves on the roads for added fun.

Glad you are OKish, hope the bike is too.

Bet you're sore though
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I hate this time of year too, all that sludge and peds dressed head to toe in black.

Hope you feel better soon and the bike is ok.

Stay safe people
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jimmypippa wrote:
    I always dislike cycling in November, loads of allen leaves on the roads for added fun.

Allen leaves?

99189265_2760c49456_z.jpg?zz=1

CiB - you join an exclusive and unenviable club. I welcome you!

PS - glad no major damage......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I love you Rolf! Tell me you scissored those leaves for a post-pun!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    SimonAH wrote:
    I really hope so. If he did he deserves some sort of commendation.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    I really hope so. If he did he deserves some sort of commendation.

+1 ... genius.
  • CiB
    All well, sort of. The right leg took the brunt of it but the amount of dark oily water on otherwise unmarked skin down there shows the cause - it must have been close to ice rink levels of slipperiness on the roundabout; I really wasn't going that fast. Superficial skin loss is the worst of it, and those antiseptic wipes don't half sting esp on fist sized ares of road rash. Bike seems to have emerged virtually unscathed apart from a minor scuff on the saddle and the leading edge of the r/h brake lever being filed down to bare aluminium. I rode it the rest of the way home [at a steadier pace obviously] and it was ok.

Like the allen leaves. Neat.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lol :lol: - sadly I didn't do them myself. I'm too much of a scientist not to know that if I google hexagonal leaves, I will instantly find that someone has already made allen key shaped leaves for me; it was inevitable. The internet can be very satisfying!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Rolf F wrote:
    Lol :lol: - sadly I didn't do them myself. I'm too much of a scientist not to know that if I google hexagonal leaves, I will instantly find that someone has already made allen key shaped leaves for me; it was inevitable. The internet can be very satisfying!
    Rule 34
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Bloody hell CiB. Have you not been paying attention? You're supposed to keep it rubber side down.
    In all seriousness glad you're not more badly hurt and I hope you heal fast. Obviously wish the bike all the best too.

He did. He was in the gimp suit for the Tuesday night swinging sesh and got confused.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    CiB wrote:
    My turn. Nearly home, decided to do a bit of a detour as it was so nice being back on the bike after a 3 week gap. Got to the little roundabout not far from home, scrubbed off what felt like enough speed to get round it only to hear that unwelcome sound of tyres sliding across the damp tarmac,followed quite soon after by the loud bang of bike + yours truly hitting the deck and adding a couple more yards to the journey as separate items. Bollox.

Half a dozen cuts round the hands & fingers, a large dose of skin missing from the right knee & right hip, and a nice gash on the left shin where it met the bottle holder at pace. Haven't dared look at the bike yet; I only built it up on Friday and can't face the idea of it being damaged so soon.

Stay safe kids, and don't ride like a chuffing numpty. You know it makes sense.

:(
    Must be something in the air, same thing happened to me on the way home, lost it on a mini roundabout, same speed, angle and line as usual. What just happened, why are my wheels feeling like that, I'm going over aren't I, topple, crunch, you all right mate from the car behind. How I managed to land on my left side on a right hand turn I don't understand. Road felt slippery as I got up so probably fuel or oil rather than general road crud. Not to much damage, bike if fine, sore thumbs and wrist, bruise under my right knee on the inside, aggravated my left hip and shoulder. Damage to pride may suffer for a while.

Winter is here and I think I need one of these:

captain-crash-gents.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Holey Moley, everybody - what are you all doing???

Glad to hear no one is seriously hurt in today's batch - I'm just on Wiggle now ordering up the body armour.

Seriously, take care and get well soon. I think we all need to expect the unexpected in November
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Starting to think my normal plan of beer and fried crispy dead animal during November and December, followed my new year resolution to cycle more is actually a good plan....

Hope you heal up soon, given recent events glad to hear it is not life changing.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB
    Veronese68 wrote:

He did. He was in the gimp suit for the Tuesday night swinging sesh and got confused.
    Tuesday is Tuesday. We were there; where were you? There were some disappointed men tonight, not to mention the lizard.

:wink:
  • Glad to hear that you didn't fare too badly CIB. Your account reminded me of a similar incident that took place many years ago while I was out riding with my best mate. Like you he took a tumble on a roundabout, and like you it was more a case of hurt pride than major physical damage. I shall never forget his indignation as he picked himself up saying "I was riding well with the design parameters of my bike!" You won't be surprised to learn that he was and remains an engineer by profession. Nor will you be surprised to know that I have never let him forget it. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Rolf F wrote:

Sadly not that exclusive - do we need a Your Roadrash Pics Here thread? Possibly Not.

PS, Someone needs to get onto Conti or Schwalbe and get them to develop an Autumn-specific commuting tyre capable of gripping on wet leaf-strewn roads, perhaps with some sort of micro-spikes - working product name GAF: Grippy As F***.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Sadly not that exclusive - do we need a Your Roadrash Pics Here thread? Possibly Not.
    We have one, but Silly Commuting Injuries I believe. About to add today's bruise to it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rolf F wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Allen leaves?

Nobody has asked the important question.....

Why does it say "breast" on that bit of card behind the bottom Allen leaf?

Ps - glad your ok etc.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Heal up quickly! Too many folk falling off, think its a conspiracy!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1 to the above. Possibly with the exception of the "breast" question.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • PBo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Allen leaves?

Nobody has asked the important question.....

Why does it say "breast" on that bit of card behind the bottom Allen leaf?

Ps - glad your ok etc.

Easy. Those allen leaves - they get on your t!ts.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Oof, bad luck. I must admit I've not managed a long ride so far this November. Hoping for one on Sunday, but Nov is never great. Take it easy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I thought I was getting a break from the wet and slippery. Company conference in Tenerife; opted for the mountain biking around Mt Teide, and managed to throw myself over the bars on a downhill section. I can report that volcanic rock is quite abrasive when you get up close and personal with it. I now have a souvenir of Tenerife embedded in my elbow, and in exchange I left half a pint of blood and a few scraps of skin behind. Miraculously the injuries were confined to exposed flesh, and all my kit escaped unscathed!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I must've missed this thread when it was started, but about the same time I fell off on a left hand turn. Wasn't going fast at all. Black oily water all over everything was obviously the cause. Bike needed new grip tape and my shifter is a bit scratched up, I was fine.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    OUCH!!! Glad nothing is broken.

You are quite welcome to borrow my BKS Race suit if you like. Guarantee if you fall off it will keep all your skin intact. It also keeps you warm and limits flexibility and weighs a ton so you get extra training.

Crash tested at Magny Cor, Donnington and Silverstone. She works lovely :)
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Add me to the tally of people decking it on roundabouts.

The irritating part is that I was well aware that the road was slick with diesel (I use a route heavily trafficked by buses) from the rainbow shimmer and the occasional unexpected squirming of the bike. As such, I thought I was being excessively cautious, but nope, front wheel snapped out from under me and I was on the ground on my right side before I knew what was happening.

I know it happened fast because I didn't even manage to unclip or try to put a hand out, landed on my shoulder, hip and knee. Still, the fact I was barely carrying any speed at all means very little road rash, though my shorts have some new scars.