Chain Dropping

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I had a wee search and most people seem to have the problem when they are shifting, but I am getting chain slippage when standing up and powering up a climb. I will be in the largest of 3 cogs and the chain will snap forward and drop into the middle - sometimes sending me into a face-plant over the bars.

As far as I can tell, the shift is happening smoothly and it stays in position when pedalling along, its only when I stand and apply pressure. The teeth on the front derailler appear to be sharpish and aren't flat.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Badly indexed front mech, with the mech in the right place the chain shouldn't be able to come off the big ring!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Something is worn or not adjusted properly.
    But I really hope your front derailleur doesn't have teeth.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • aidso
    Should the teeth be flat/squared?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Front derailleurs don't have teeth.
    Do you mean chainrings?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • aidso
    sorry haha, yes I mean the chain rings.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Too low a gear in the back i bet. Why are you climbing in the largest of 3 chainrings? I guarantee its that not a setup issue.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    High screw on the front derailleur maybe to move it further out?
  • aidso
    I'll try the screw adjustment - looking down I thought there was enough clearance etc but I'll give it a go.

And why not climb in the highest ring? Gears are there to be used.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    aidso wrote:
    I'll try the screw adjustment - looking down I thought there was enough clearance etc but I'll give it a go.

Because your chainline would be better (more direct) if you where in the middle or granny .

Sound like you?

http://www.intownbicycles.com/how-to/ar ... cles-gears
  • aidso
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    aidso wrote:

Because your chainline would be better (more direct) if you where in the middle or granny .

Sound like you?

http://www.intownbicycles.com/how-to/ar ... cles-gears

Quite possibly. I shall pay attention to the back next time it happens as it could be, in too low a gear. I don't have the same problem when I'm racing so didn't think it was a technique. Cheers