Just wanna play!

ZMC886
ZMC886 Posts: 10
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Recently I've built up an old GT Chucker 2.0 frame since all my local trails have been overgrown and have really been having fun on it in the city and BMX track and thinking that I'd really like a fairly lightweight FS or HT play bike that does a bit of everything mostly because the area I live is very dry and I need to ride a fair bit of road to get to my local hills as I don't have a car. I love big heavy FS/AM bikes running on Minions with coil shocks down-hill, but the thing is that is only about 10% of my riding.

What I ride:
Street (wheelies, manuals, endos, stairs, commuting, shopping) 50%
BMX track and hard pack dirt 30%
Gnarly rocky descents and climbs 20%

I want to keep it light so I want t keep the fork under 2.5 KG and the frame under 3KG, total build under 13 or 14KG. So no FR forks or steel frames. Also a fairly easy to maintain bike.

A few ideas...
Nukeproof Snap
SC Jackal
NS Soda with AIR shock
Identiti DR JEKYLL A-D-S
Blackmarkt Killswitch
Transition Double
Banshee/Mythic Double

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll struggle to get an HT over 3Kg even in steel.
    Personally I'd suggest sticking with a steel HT with a decent 150mm (ish) fork, which will just be a better version of your Chucker (is yours a steel or ally frame by the way? I've ridden both).
    Maybe a Steel 456? You haven't given an idea of budget.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm assuming as you say it's really dry where you live, that you're not in the UK.

And as said above, you need a rough idea of budget.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Was considering a Snap a while ago to replace my trusty Chucker but although the frame is reasonably priced it's very focussed and arguably less versatile than a Chucker.

felix.london on here has one:
    http://thehairyrider.com/2012/06/13/fir ... ld-part-1/
  • I'm assuming as you say it's really dry where you live, that you're not in the UK.

And as said above, you need a rough idea of budget.

by the fact the OP used the term Gnarly I assumed they werent from the UK. :wink:
  • ZMC886
    ZMC886 Posts: 10
    Yep, I'm from the UK originally but live in China. -5 degree winters, 40 degree summers. Mostly dry.
    There are steep rocky mountain areas with similar size hills to Scottish highlands but I think I might go with a specific longer travel bike for that.

Frame budget is about max 1000 pounds for the right frame, if it is FS, 500 for HT.

The NP Snap does seem rather directly focused I'll admit, Transition Double maybe.