Android mapping app??

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Hi all
Anyone know any good apps for an android phone for recording rides, elevation etc

Comments

• craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    strava
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • strava gets my vote too. even if not bothered about races it keeps good track of your rides. i just turn it on. phone in saddle bag and off i go.
    Triban 3
  • RunKeeper's pretty good (MTB, Walking, Running, Cycling) been using for a couple of months now, will check out Strava though.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Endomondo. I've downloaded Strava and I don't find it as useful.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    i just like beating my pb on courses
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Tracday will do the job. Simple and fast. Like the website as well, all tracked data synchronizing very good, gps works precisely.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    My favourite after trying quite a few including Endomondo is Sportypal. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Anything I've used has killed my iPhone battery quickly, however, started using Strava app the last two rides and it made hardly a dent in battery life. Very impressed and it was bloody good too.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    +1 Strava, used endomondo but found it would sometimes drop its gps mid ride then pick it up 2 miles down the path, very frustrating. NEVER had this on strava.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've had issues with endomondo draining the battery from full to naught in just a 5 hour ride. Useless when you regularly ride 10 hour days.

Is strava better in this respect?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    GPS / Battery use will be more or less the same for every app, unless the app chooses to use less frequent polling of the GPS receiver for its data (which inherently means it loses some accuracy).

I like Sportstracker for Android; used to use it on a Nokia phone, ported across to Android and does the job free, ad free and well. Strava does have some nice features if you are competitive though ;-)

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I have used Strava and Mapmyride on my Android phone. Strava is far superior. I had some issues with the MMR app locking my phone and losing data. It also caned the battery. Strava is much better. I can ride for 3 hours and still have 50% battery life left. The app has so far proved stable.

I would not get 10 hours out of the battery though. Might make 5 or 6 which is fine for most of my rides. Perhaps you can get one of those battery boosters to extend battery life, you know the ones where you plug an AA battery into your phone?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Herb71 wrote:
    I have used Strava and Mapmyride on my Android phone. Strava is far superior. I had some issues with the MMR app locking my phone and losing data. It also caned the battery. Strava is much better. I can ride for 3 hours and still have 50% battery life left. The app has so far proved stable.

I would not get 10 hours out of the battery though. Might make 5 or 6 which is fine for most of my rides. Perhaps you can get one of those battery boosters to extend battery life, you know the ones where you plug an AA battery into your phone?
    That's an idea.
  • I have both Strava and Endomondo running when I'm out but I turn the data/3G off cos that's what really kills your battery.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I reckon with my new Galaxy S2 and all the gubbins turned off (except GPS), I might be able to get 10hrs with Strava.