professional helitaping

dusk
dusk Posts: 583
edited November 2012 in MTB general
I have a new bike coming and having previously had a go at helitaping my old bike it was a right PITA and so I would rather see if I can get it done properly.

So do places offer this service and if so how much should I be expecting to pay?

Also I'm located in North Beds so if anyone knows a place nearby then let me know
YT Wicked 160 ltd
Cotic BFe
DMR Trailstar
Canyon Roadlite

Comments

• I get doing cable and crank rub and jam areas but fail to see the point of the lot. It a mountain bike and looks better having been ridden in my book.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seriously?
    Ride, crash, scratch - no need to worry anymore.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    + potato
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Sure your LBS would be able to do this. One local to me (but nowhere near you...) charges around the £50 mark for all the main parts / big tubes etc.
    It is very easy to do yourself, as long as you have a couple of hours free.

I'm a fan of helitaping (main wear points) as I don't tend to keep my bikes for long, so makes for better re-sale value when you come to pass it on IMO.
  • dusk
    None of my previous bikes have had it from new and they quickly look rubbish so I figure now I'm spending £k's on a new bike it's worth doing.

I'll have to see what my lbs say and maybe just give it a go myself.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Heli taping is a pretty good idea, especially on downhill bikes as they cost more than most and get battered more than post, particularly on uplifts. The odd scratch here and there is alright, but uplift scars can look nasty. Pretty goo idea if you want your bike to look nice or may sell it on (you'll get a lot more back for a bike that's still in good nick).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    We will just have to agree to disagree, IMO it's like your granny leaving the plastic stuff on her new couch.
    (Your granny meaning one's granny, not your granny.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    if your grans sofas cost two grand and were potentially going to be sold on after a year or two yeah.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    Just say no.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dusk
    cooldad wrote:
    We will just have to agree to disagree, IMO it's like your granny leaving the plastic stuff on her new couch.
    (Your granny meaning one's granny, not your granny.)
    but a sofa can be re upholstered and cleaned, surely it's more like having scotchguard on a sofa, looks and feels the same but has extra stain protection
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • So can a frame though. Stripped and sprayed.
  • Wrap it in bubble wrap!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    £50 to get helitaped or 100-130 for powder coat a few years down the line.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • But tape doesn't mean perfection a few year down the line
  • cooldad
    And it will still be an outdated second hand bike. Just a pretty one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    At most stick some patches on to avoid the worst cable rub and just ride the bike. Taping up a complete MTB is just a waste of time and the helitape will just allow dirt to gather around it instead (also read resent posts on people ripping off lacquer removing the stuff).

Helitaping a MTB is akin to putting a tactile, expensive mobile phone into a shit (any) case.

Preserve it for what reason - resale? Silly reason to buy it in the first place.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    If you want to tape it, do it, if you you dont, then don't. It's personal choice, not something you need approval for.
    Done right and using correct stuff, gives a very good finish. Done wrong using cheap cr4p, can end up looking nasty and being more hassle than its worth.

This could be added to the spd / flats , tubes / no tubes series of debates...
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    But if you do it you are a silly 'nana.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm not sure second hand buyers really care about scratches :?

For all it gets thrown around i think helitape is way overused.
  • ilovedirt
    If you're into your racing or whatever, it's not a silly thing at all. I gather most people on here don't race. Say you buy a 2012 Demo frame and heli tape it well yourself, it'll cost you £20 or so and a few hours to do. You sell it on a year or two down the road in really good nick so you can buy the latest frame, you'll get a good few hundred quid more for it than if it was battered to high hell, especially when you consider that a good respray will cost you about £200 for a decent job that's not just a flat colour; then it starts to make sense. I don't heli tape my bikes (apart from odd spots), but I can see why people do. For something that costs you £20, it saves a lot in the long run if you like buying brand new.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • helitape will last two years, i put some inside the drum of our washing machine where some plonker left some tools in his work trousers creating a sharp edge which tore the mrs best clothes :oops: stuck some tape on as a temporary solution, that was just before last christmas, it's still there and our machine is on at least once a day if not more. thats over 300 wash cycles including boil washes, trainers and more tools(i don't learn) it's impressive stuff.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo