How heavy!

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
Since I built my commuter I've managed to pare 1.7Kg from it so it's now down to a relatively lightweight 9.75Kg, about 10.5Kg with rack and guards and panniers.

Today I weighed my Lunchbox and laptop bag, they came in at 1.35Kg and 3.75Kg respectively, don't think I'll spend any more on weight reductions on the bike then! (noting that the empty lunchbox is just 200g).

I'll put my weight weenie budget onto the MTB in future!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• The view I take is the heavier my bike the fitter I'm going to get! ;-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Too true......making me even faster on the MTB!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • corshamjim wrote:
    The view I take is the heavier my bike the fitter I'm going to get! ;-)

That's my philosophy too - which is just as well given my Kona has 32c marathons which weigh about 2 stone each
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    corshamjim wrote:

Whats the steepest incline you have on your commute?
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    corshamjim wrote:

Nothing steep enough to warrant a road sign telling me what the incline is, but enough to make me glad my Pashley has three gears.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    corshamjim wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:
    corshamjim wrote:

Nothing steep enough to warrant a road sign telling me what the incline is, but enough to make me glad my Pashley has three gears.

I ride up a 10-13% incline every morning, which I find quite tough. Its not steep enough for road signs though. :oops: Although in my defence its at the end of my run, so I'm already a little spent by the time I've gone for multiple Strava PRs en route. Also, I've not been overtaken up it for ages and this morning I took two road bike scalps. :P

I used to ride it on an old second hand hybrid with suspension and a knackered drive train. I could just about bounce up it whilst my chain skipped from one gear to another and back again, but it almost killed me every morning. Despite it being pretty hard I don't think my fitness improved very much, if at all - I was probably doing more harm than good, or something like that.

Eventually I fixed up the hybrid, put rigid forks on it and I noticed that I started making improvements. Then a few weeks ago I got a nice 8kg carbon road bike and since then I have improved my times everyday. I can now, after 6 months, make it up both the hills I ride daily with energy to spare 8)

Just sayin'
    :)
  • My daily ride is far too easy as it is. On those occasions when I take my lighter 8-speed hybrid I feel like I've cheated! :-)
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    The weight of my bike pales into insignificance when compared with the weight of me.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Phil_D wrote:
    The weight of my bike pales into insignificance when compared with the weight of me.

This!!!!
  • Mines is I recon about 14kg for the bike and then another 2kg for panniers and rack. And since it was blowing a hoolie headwind on the beach this morning I'm adding an extra 6kg just because.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com