Shimano Deore XT M775 brakes

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Might be able to get a set of the above brakes for £80, excellent condition, freshly bled with new pads all round. Questions are:

They any good for AM?
Is this a decent price?

Cheers all.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    TBH, you can get the latest versions new for £120 (no rotors though) so £80 seems a bit steep.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • These don't come with rotors either so might be a bit on the steep side. They any good though or do I go for the SLX M675?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • benpinnick
    That would be my choice. Look for deals on ROse and bike-discount though, XT can be the same price!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Get yourself a 180 rr and 203 front rotor and you'll be all set for mega stopping power.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Already got a 203 fr and 185 rr. Just trying to decide which brakes to go for, really trying to keep to a budget of £100 and don't mind buying 2nd hand.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i got the XT M785's a couple of weeks ago from merlin for just a smidgen over 120,no rotors but shiny new..not far off rosebike prices and came next day delivery...you order from rose bikes and the levers are swapped F/L and R/R,so are the ones from merlin though...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • benpinnick
    185 rr is Avid only, so you'd need to change to 180. If its raw power you want, and with a budget of £100, your best off looking either s/hand, or Deore. Not as nice looking as the SLX, but still pull your face off powerful and from bike-discount.de they come in at just a smidge over €85 delivered. SLX would be about £110.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Have a 180 rotor in my spares so will go with that (thanks for advice). Will go 2nd hand to try and get a 'better' brake but there's so many of them I'm finding it confusing....as usual :roll:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I currently run the M775 brakes and while they are good brakes and seem to provide all the stopping power I need; the newer Shimano brakes are much better.

I tried a set of SLX M675 brakes and they were fantastic even before I had bed them in. I was very surprised at how powerful they were but also how easy it was to modulate the power too. No point having loads of power if all you do is lock your wheels up all the time.

I'd say either go for the budget Deore ones which are the same design but less pimp and a bit heavier or spend a bit more on the SLX if you can stretch.
  • Thanks jairaj, which Deore ones do you mean? Any links?

Seeing brakes in my sleep :shock:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • benpinnick
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks you two, off to order some now :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP