Standard Crank Length

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Need a crank for a new build but don't know what length to get, either 170mm or 175mm. I know it's a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' but what would be the standard on a medium size frame for a rider with 31" inseam?

Thanks
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But doubt you'd notice the difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have 170mm on one bike & 175mm on another, I can't tell the difference. Buy whichever is doscounted
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I have 175 on one bike and 170 on the other, and i can tell the difference. And this was before i saw it was 170.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I had 170's on one and 175's on another for a while and couldn't tell the difference either....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    170 cranks fit well with small frames to give a bit more clearance ,its not about how they feel :lol:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    omegas wrote:
    170 cranks fit well with small frames to give a bit more clearance ,its not about how they feel :lol:
    certainly seems to be the case according to canyon and specialized geometry charts, 170's only appear on their small frames
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's nonsense really as BB height is normally the same.
    More likely the assumption is little legs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    That's nonsense really as BB height is normally the same.
    More likely the assumption is little legs.
    i would imagine little most things on a small frame :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, the ;logic is that shorter legs need shorted cranks to keep knee operating angles similar.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Thanks guys, think I might just give 170mm a go - if for no other reason than it may help reduce pedal strikes
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    I have 155 cranks and can tell the difference between them and the std 170 on a small frame...