How do I take the wheels off my road bike.....?

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Yes, I know this is a mtbing forum, but a friend has kindly offered to give my road bike the once-over and after a passing glance this morning I have spotted the following challanges, a) no quick release and b) v-brakes :shock:

I have only ridden for about 10 mins in 4 years (hence the need for a check!) but am vaguely minded to use it to train over the winter.... So, how the hell do I get the wheels off to fit it in my car?! I drive a Mini - so leaving the wheels on is not an option (and nor is riding it as it's dark and raining and i'll probably crash!!) :?

Don't laugh, but help please....! :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited November 2012
    Are you sure they're v-brakes, as opposed to callipers? Hybrid or cross bike rather than road bike if so...

If no QRs then you'll need a 15mm spanner, v-brakes you just need to pop the cable out at the noodle (the bendy metal tube). If they're callipers there should be a little QR lever on the front - where the cable comes in.

That said... if it's got solid axles chances are it's a cheap bike and probably won't be much fun to ride, go and buy a new shiny one :-)
  • miss notax
    Thanks!! I have been reliably informed by the blokes in my office that it probably does have quick releases, and that it's not v-brakes but caliper brakes :lol: Goes to show what I know!! :lol:

I'll have a go when I get home - at least it's clean, years of taking the wheels off filthy muddy mountain bikes have got to count for something right!?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's no different at all, you just need to undo the brakes as said. The lever is the black thing on the left - rotate so the lever points upward.

_K4HcaCjw7Nm2Nx7n1SBwB2QUzS1WCRY0ypXbfd_OdFN4ztbb_eC07_l-3BUBGLU6SrVKupbHKST-EfY6Qb7bM4Z72KaQJ5mUIFCAVBd5k5Fkath4aKwmZm0CD-HHzMmZS750MyC2q9mNhulUYMoV9n-KhYCCcWw3-TJMjFN73I_
  • miss notax
    Oh cool, thank you. I can cope with that 8)

Just need to get used to riding the damn thing now :wink::lol:

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I can get my bike in my mini with just the front wheel off and the passenger seat forward.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • That really doesn't say much. The new ones are huge.
  • miss notax
    Well, managed to get the wheels off but I am obviously a bit thick as the (inflated) tyre wouldn't pull out past the calliper... I had undone the lever thing but it still wouldn't pull through. I couldn't see any other obvious way of pushing the callipers further apart.

In the end I let the air out of both tyres and voila! Both wheels off. I assume there is an easier way though which I have missed?

• Some do have a clip which allows them to fully come apart. But sometimes taking air out the tyre is needed (or undoing the cable) but it depends on rim to tyre width how much you need them to come apart.
  • antfly
    That really doesn't say much. The new ones are huge.
    Have you ever been in one ? They are definitely not huge but the seats go down fully flat which creates just enough room with the seat forward. That is an incredibly dull statement....
  • He says.... With my point being in a 'proper' mini the seats didnt even come down.
  • antfly
    I didn't know that, before my time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    miss notax wrote:
    Well, managed to get the wheels off but I am obviously a bit thick as the (inflated) tyre wouldn't pull out past the calliper... I had undone the lever thing but it still wouldn't pull through. I couldn't see any other obvious way of pushing the callipers further apart.

In the end I let the air out of both tyres and voila! Both wheels off. I assume there is an easier way though which I have missed?
    Try the other way. Or give it a yank.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    miss notax wrote:

Must.......resist........
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Oh come on, I gave you an opening as big as a barn door.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    Oh dear boys.... :wink::lol:

• cooldad wrote:
    miss notax wrote:

Must.......resist........

so how does giving the bike an american help anything?

that is what you meant.... right?
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    He says.... With my point being in a 'proper' mini the seats didnt even come down.
    you could get 2 across the back in an old mini (and two bikes if you take the front wheels off)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just