Pinnacle Jarrah Five

herb71
herb71 Posts: 253
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am interested in this bike from Evans (C2W, which limits my options).

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec035898

I am 6ft, so fall exactly on the line between large and X-Large. I will be getting it delivered to store, so I will get the chance to try it for size, but want to avoid ordering the wrong size and then having to go back again for another go.

I am thinking it is probably best to order smaller in the first instance, but welcome more informed opinions? Any reason not to buy this? Are there better options at this price point, bearing in mind I have to stick with Evans?

The bike will be use for trails and cross country. Nothing too arduous.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks ok to me. Good forks and brakes that work. Doubt you'll do much better at Evans for the price.
    Personally I'd always take a slightly small bike than one that's too big.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There size guiding is just that - a guide, and in my opinion, a little out on the 'norm'. They don't list the geometry, but the medium may fit even better.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    looks just like one of the Genesis core's to me, do they buy there frames from the same place ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • herb71
    chez_m356 wrote:
    looks just like one of the Genesis core's to me, do they buy there frames from the same place ?

Is that a good, bad or indifferent?

I think the pinnacle is Evans own brand, so it's entirely possible they source the frame from the same supplier.
  • cooldad
    Good
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Herb71 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

Is that a good, bad or indifferent?

I think the pinnacle is Evans own brand, so it's entirely possible they source the frame from the same supplier.
    sorry should have said, was just making an observation, but like ''cooldad'' said, a good thing, and at that price point (700), can't see anything on evans's site thats looks to have a good as spec as the jarrah 5
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I am a fan of the Pinnacles. Had one of their Tharpu Peak 3.0s a few years back and still wish I'd not got rid of it.
  • cooldad
    They are the Evans equivalent of Carrera - you pay for the parts, not the name, so generally a good deal, and although I've only test ridden one (not that model) it felt good.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I built a bike up with a Pinnacle 100mm XC full suss frame I bought ex display for buttons from the Manchester store. It was a smashing frame and handled like a dream but was just a bit too light and noodly for a fat clumsy fark like me. In its element which was smooth twisty singletrack it absolutely flew, the only bike which has come close is my mates Giant Anthem X4.

Good frames probably built by one of the Taiwanese giants like Merida or Kinesis
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • herb71
    Thanks for your advice guys. Picked up the large this morning. Only had the test ride, plus a quick blast before heading out to work, but pretty pleased so far. Seems a nice bike for the money. I also got the £100 voucher, so I have new shoes and a wireless cadence computer (for the road bike) as well.

Even better, it looks very similar to my old Scott, which is currently hiding in the shed. I am hopeful my better half won't notice a new bike hanging on the wall of the garage, espcially now I have transferred my old muddy accessories across.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Herb71 wrote:
    for the road bike
    Cough....splutter.....you what?????? :D:D
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • herb71
    Herb71 wrote:
    for the road bike
    Cough....splutter.....you what?????? :D:D

If it has 2 wheels its all good for me. The bicycles have to fight for space with my motorbike as well. Too many toys, not enough time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Herb71 wrote:
    Too many toys, not enough time.
    So stick to the real one....MTB! :lol:
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.