Winter Bike

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
People here take about 'their Winter bike'. At the moment, I sadly only have the one machine (in my signature) which I ride year round.

What specifically should I look for as a 'Winter' bike that my current does not already do?

Cheers

DB
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    One that wont melt in the rain.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Full mudguards, clearance for fatter tyres and cheaper drivetrain parts as they wear out quicker in the winter.

Also, generally not carbon and less likely to care if you scratch it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Any bike that you don't mind getting a bit wrecked by the bad weather can be considered a winter bike. Mine is Dolan Preffiso, it has mudguard eyes and can take full length guards, the wheels are hand me downs from my nice bike and the rest of the components were obtained from ebay or the bargain bin.

If you expect a lot of snow and ice, you might want to consider something that would take studded tyres, most CX bikes, mountain bikes and hybrids will probably have clearance for that. Disc brakes can come in pretty handy as well.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Only have one road bike, but I'm increasingly thinking of it as a winter bike when I go out with people that have nicer 'summer bikes'.
    This is how N+1 starts
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • For me the winter bike is pretty simple - it's one with ice tyres on it. As per my other thread, it then becomes a little more defined as to how efficiently it does that job especially because ice is often just in the morning and it's miserable grinding home uphill on a slow heavy bike in the dark when you're already tired.

Agree with much of the above regarding guards etc Disc brakes are much better in the winter for a long list of reasons

1. Work better in the wet
    2. Don't machine your rims
    3. Hydraulics don't freeze
    4. Don't accumulate snow
    etc
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My winter bike is my Edinburgh Country tourer with 105 groupset (donated by my Cannondale when I upgraded it). Done about 10k miles on this over the years as it used to be my only bike! It has 28mm Schwalbe Marathons (heavy but indestructible), wide mudguards, good sturdy pannier rack and a comfy steel frame. It's a bike I really enjoy riding despite the fact it must weigh going on for double what my Roubaix comes in at.

Mean Red : which ice tyres are you running? 700c choice must be a bit limited?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Smallest ice tyres for 700c are 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Winters.

Edit: I think Nokian do a 32mm one but I've not seen them in the UK.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Mean Red : which ice tyres are you running? 700c choice must be a bit limited?

I use my MTB so 26" Ice Spiker Pros. They're the only ice tyres I trust at the moment after my "off" on ice on my Boardman CX fitted with Marathon Winters. The concept of the Winters is great but with the rate at which they lose studs and weighing nearly 1Kg each, the reality doesn't live up to the promise...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • This would make a great winter bike - will probably be in the queue for a frame at least when they're released in January

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/874 ... -adventure

Takes tyres at least up to 700 x 42 and they're hoping to reach 700 x 45

d0db56f835a66941c275781628a1a9ab_large.jpg?1345587514
  • This would make a great winter bike - will probably be in the queue for a frame at least when they're released in January

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/874 ... -adventure

Takes tyres at least up to 700 x 42 and they're hoping to reach 700 x 45

d0db56f835a66941c275781628a1a9ab_large.jpg?1345587514

Interesting, but this one looks broken!

95217ceaf64b9eeb868181c6793dd52e_large.jpg
  • Yup - it's very sensitive to colours in particular (but you can play a game of "spot the difference" between the two)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If only Volagi had some UK dealers, truly lovely bikes.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • is my SS/roadie fairly cheap drive chain, normally just the chain when it gives out.

Though for true winter wonderland stuff It's the MTB which has soft (both pressure and compond) mud spike tyres, which manages to stick to ice and spike though snow.