Big ring how many miles can I get out of it?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited November 2012 in MTB general
How many miles should I be getting out of the big ring ( slx) i do a commute on road and Xc on the weekends currently done 2k miles

Also any other info would help

This is the drive chain I'm using Shimano FC-M430, Octalink spline, replaceable rings, 175mm crank arms
Chainrings: 44 x 32 x 22
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Piece of string. (Lime notwithstanding).

2000 miles seems reasonable, I killed my XX one in 500 or so. The ti (single) ring I'm currently using on the MTB has probably done 1500 or so and looks perfect. The Dura Ace outer ring on my Madone has done at least 30,000.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The mighty Biopace one on my Rockhopper is 25 years old and probably been to the moon and back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I prefer technical xc type riding and as a result I hardly ever use big ring (I am obviously just not that fit :lol: ) - I ride at least twice a week and mines been going about 2.5 years so far... Middle ring gets a proper mashing though and lasts about 10 months, and probably a few more months for granny ring.

Having said that, the outer ring is in a right old state from catching it on rocks etc over the years so it's probably a good job that I don't use it much :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • sigorman85
    Hmm so it's just a case of when the time comes?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    In my opinion - yes! You'll know when it's finally gone as your gears will be skipping about all over the place (and you'll rpobaby need to replace the chain and cassette too).

But I am a tight-wad and I would rather get every possible second of use rather than swapping them over regularly!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    A worn chain will reduce the lifetime some
  • sigorman85
    I have got a new chain on the way and a big ring also got a new front mech as trashed that as well

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't have any big rings left on mountain bikes, but when I did, I only really wore them by grinding them off rocks :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist