Comments

• solitone wrote:
    ]I don't annoy animals in the woods!
    Well, not with your hubs anyway ;)
    Sorry, I'm not a native speaker. Did I say something odd? :roll:
  • solitone wrote:
    Is the freehub completely sealed?
    ddraver wrote:
    It's sealed from dirt and water ingress yes, it's not vacuum sealed!
    :D So I'd say a little dust can enter it.

Returning to my original question: does greasing pawls and teeth make dirt collection more easy, as I suppose dust sticks to the grease :?:
  • solitone wrote:
    More teeth results in more noise.
    How does that work?
    I was just guessing. I'd say more teeth means more points of contacts with the pawls, resulting in a higher pitch sound. Not necessarily louder, but more similar to an insect's buzz anyway.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    More teeth increases the pitch. Less grease (or my favourite light oil) or stronger pawl springs increase the force with which the pawls hit the metal of the drive ring which increases the volume.

If you pack a hope style freehub full of grease it'll be almost silent for a little while, until the grease moves out of the way of the pawls. However you risk missing engagements. Personally I grease the gutters for the plastic dust seal at the base of the freehub body but leave the pawls with a light oil. Slightly snappier pickup and a louder hub, but still very well sealed.
  • ddraver wrote:
    , buying from CRC or whatever

No No No No!

Buy them off of an online bearing shop (Superstar or Hope will tell you what the code is) or from somewhere like a bearing shop or Motor Factor (Why are Car shops called motor factors).

It's a name given to a company supplying car parts to trade, vehicle manufacturs and independents, and Retail (you & I). As for the origin of the phrase? No one I know has any idea :D which is not to say that it doesn't have an origin :)

Apparently a 'Factor' can be used to describe a 3rd party or middleman.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I strongly recommend against buying superstar tesla hubs. I've gone through 2 rear hubs in just a few months. The second hub broke after only 3 rides!!! The freewheel mechanism doesn't seem strong enough. The pawls break and leave little metal pieces inside the freewheel mechanism which then destroy the function.

Buy something else :)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Can you get a picture of the freehub mechanism (or anyone else)? I'm interested to see if they use a different pawl and ratchet system to the Switch hub because if they do, I could be looking at some Tesla's if/when I eventually get some new wheels. If they use the same silly single spring (bit of wire) to tension the pawls I'm out though, not the best system IME.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    I've been looking for hubs for a wheel build and was considering the Teslas but I've started seeing quite a few posts about people with failing Telsa rear hubs with the failures occurring with relatively low mileage.

Would you say the Hope Pro II is a better and more reliable hub?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No. I have seen plenty of failed Hopes too.
  • hard-rider
    OK. From reading your previous posts am I correct in thinking that you favour the Teslas over the Hopes?

My issue is I'd probably find spares for Hopes here where as the Teslas I'd have to send back to the UK for spares excepting bearings.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    hard-rider wrote:
    I've been looking for hubs for a wheel build and was considering the Teslas but I've started seeing quite a few posts about people with failing Telsa rear hubs with the failures occurring with relatively low mileage.

Are you referring to this guy?
    I strongly recommend against buying superstar tesla hubs. I've gone through 2 rear hubs in just a few months. The second hub broke after only 3 rides!!! The freewheel mechanism doesn't seem strong enough. The pawls break and leave little metal pieces inside the freewheel mechanism which then destroy the function.

Buy something else :)

Note that he's only ever made on post on here - I've researched this question on other fora as well as this one, and found each time that there's one post that says, "I've gone through x Teslas with a failed freehub". I've concluded that

(1) He probably has had a run of bad Teslas
    (2) If they were that bad, the posts would be followed by, "same thing happened to me!" but they're not
    (3) Someone has got upset with Superstar about Tesla hubs, and is making a mission out of it.

My other conclusion, following my research, is I'll give them a go.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • hard-rider
    I've seen other posts or complaints about Tesla rear hubs failing after a very short time but must confess that I never really looked at the post count so can't say that it was someone on a revenge mission or not.

I am aware that forums tend to highlight the bad points as most people post to complain or about a problem. I just wanted to get a feel for how they compared with Hope. I've never owned a Hope hub either so have no experience with those. In fact my only experience with hubs are the ones that came on my Scott Scale and so far those have been faultless. I don't know what they are but 4 years of riding many, times in full submersion through streams and they still spin as if they were new.

EDIT: I think I'll probably give the Teslas a go except they don't have the black rear in stock.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Thread resurrection time!

I've now given my new Tesla hubs their first few rides and can report that they look good, turn smoothly, and the freehub has usefully fast pickup. Noticeably faster than the Hope, which wasn't bad either. The noise is a smooth and slightly muffled whirr - nowhere near as loud as the Hope, similar to an old-fashioned freewheel with plenty of lubricant in it. They're well finished and the logos are nice and subtle.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Thread resurrection time!

I've now given my new Tesla hubs their first few rides and can report that they look good, turn smoothly, and the freehub has usefully fast pickup. Noticeably faster than the Hope, which wasn't bad either. The noise is a smooth and slightly muffled whirr - nowhere near as loud as the Hope, similar to an old-fashioned freewheel with plenty of lubricant in it. They're well finished and the logos are nice and subtle.

Since you've resurrected it... my teslas are slipping on the ratchet now after a few months. I popped them apart and cleaned them up but they are doing it again after about another 100k. Not hopeful they will hold out much longer :(

My old tesla was noisy and seemed robust enough, a year old now with no issues. This new one is much quieter, and seemingly more fragile too... dont know if there was a switch in the manufacture somewhere along the line.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    100k? I'd be happy with that ;-)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    supersonic wrote:
    100k? I'd be happy with that ;-)
    ... Lol. I guess you would. 100km.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.