Superstar DH wheelsets

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Been thinking of a lighter set of DH rims to shed some weight off the Tues. Now, don't know the exact weights of the current set-up, but hopefully going to get them weighed tomorrow so I'll know what the starting weight is (pretty certain they'll be a bit heavier than the SS ones).

So, question is, whats the difference between the following 2 sets, as to me it looks like the cheaper set is the no brainer choice, as description sounds the same and they are actually a touch lighter, 2250g vs 2280gm

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=537

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=346

Any others I should consider, but for the price i'd be surprised?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are basically the same rims, the more expensive ones have a better quality finish. They are very good, I know someone who ran them in BDS for a season with no problems, and he isn't exactly hanging at the bottom of the results board.
    It's worth considering these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=501
    with the EX721 rims, they are a little lighter and bombproof as a race wheel. Stans Flows are ok but not quite as strong.
    Superstar's builds are very good.
  • I have the DH-595 Rims on the Superstar Switch.

Not sure how long I've had them, maybe 8 months... 90% DH probably and they're still tight and as straight as ever.
    Had them checked after about 2 months, didn't even have to pay for a re-tension or tweek as they were spot on.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    They are basically the same rims, the more expensive ones have a better quality finish. They are very good, I know someone who ran them in BDS for a season with no problems, and he isn't exactly hanging at the bottom of the results board.
    All of the SDH ran them for the 2011 season, and I think 2012 as well.

I'm pretty sure the rims on the DHX wheelset are different, but I'm not sure in what way... Either way, they're good wheels, but they're certainly not light. I doubt you'll be saving much weight with them, if any.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DodgeT
    Cheers for the replies. Just weighed mine - well the front anyway, surprised at the weight..

Alex supra D rim on a division 20mm hub, 1020 gm.

So without stripping it down, I imagine the rear will be comparable to the SS stuff too. Looks like i'll be saving me cash.
  • TBF, if you're looking to save weight, you could probably get away with something like a Switch, or Tesla, on flows. You'd save a fair bit of weight there (my old set was around 1,850g) and they should stand up to DH pretty well.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Evans (I think) had the Syncros AM wheels (12mm rr, 20fr) for something silly like £180 down from £500. Worth a look.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    DodgeT wrote:
    Cheers for the replies. Just weighed mine - well the front anyway, surprised at the weight..

So without stripping it down, I imagine the rear will be comparable to the SS stuff too. Looks like i'll be saving me cash.

I'm not sure but I thought the Superstar DH rims are Alex Sura D's, they are definately Alex Rims.
  • ilovedirt
    DodgeT wrote:

I'm not sure but I thought the Superstar DH rims are Alex Sura D's, they are definitely Alex Rims.
    They are Alex rims. I have an alex supra D on the back of my sunday and a set of superstar DH wheels and the rims look pretty similar, if not identical.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DodgeT
    Probably are the same, will just stick with them and look where else a bit may be saved.

Stuck an Obtanium Ti shock spring on a couple of weeks ago, now that shed a lot of weight. (I did actually need a higher load spring and got it 2nd hand - would never pay £300 for a spring....) The shock AND Ti spring weighs less than just the steel original RS spring.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Ti spring is definately the best way to save weight on a DH bike. If you have Fox 40 forks then a set of Boxxers would save some weight and they are better damped
  • ilovedirt
    Ti spring is definitely the best way to save weight on a DH bike. If you have Fox 40 forks then a set of Boxxers would save some weight and they are better damped
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with that...
    The Tues comes with Boxxers anyway.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Ti spring is definitely the best way to save weight on a DH bike. If you have Fox 40 forks then a set of Boxxers would save some weight and they are better damped
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with that...
    The Tues comes with Boxxers anyway.

He seems to be a hater of fox, the RC2 cartridge is a very good damper.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Just like you're a hater of Rockshox.

Fanboys.
  • ilovedirt
    I'm a rockshox fan, but i wouldn't say the boxxer has better damping (i've never tried 40s), but fox just seem very over-priced to me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Just like you're a hater of Rockshox.

Fanboys.

Hate is a strong word :lol: Given the choice I'd have fox over rockshox, purely because I prefer how they feel, I don't doubt for a minute that rockshox make great forks, I just prefer the feeling of fox's
  • DodgeT
    It's got the basic boxxer RC's, plenty good enough for me and a good weight at the same time.

Don't think there's any area's really to make any decent gains, well losses, other than the spring which i've done. I should of just splashed out the extra on the 2.0 :) Thing is, apart from the frame being 600gm lighter, I can't see where the other 1.4kg is coming from. I've checked the weights on most of the parts between the tues and tues 2.0 and I can't find that much difference...

Anyway's, i'm having plenty of fun on this one and if i'm still having fun next year, I may order a 2.0 and sell this one.