Full face helmet for road?

expandingmaan
expandingmaan Posts: 43
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys i need a helmet for road use. i ride about 16 miles sometimes in a day - which i then tackle many hills. i have noticed the speed can cause problems due to pot holes, or tree roots (when on the path) etc, and even pressing my back brake which causes my bike to slide.

i generally want a full face helmet as it offers more protection and looks cooler. however i do understand i may look like a fool with one of them on the road
which full face helmet do yous guys suggest within £60 and has good ventilation.
if not a full face helmet, then which other helmet do you recommend

thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One that fits well, go to a shop and try some on.

Not sure about the rest of your post, presume English isn't your first language, but the rough stuff (bumps, roots etc) is the whole point of an MTB.

Regarding your braking - use the front properly. You shouldn't be locking the back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You want a full-face helmet for using on the road? Seriously?

Not sure what you mean about "problems" due to pot holes, or tree roots, and have absolutely no idea what the hell you mean when you say pressing the brake makes the bike slide? Do you mean skid? Have you tried not trying to strangle the lever?
  • Hi which do helmet do yous guys suggest. i generally want something that looks nice
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    One that fits well, go to a shop and try some on. Etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You want a full-face helmet for using on the road? Seriously?

Not sure what you mean about "problems" due to pot holes, or tree roots, and have absolutely no idea what the hell you mean when you say pressing the brake makes the bike slide? Do you mean skid? Have you tried not trying to strangle the lever?
    I'm going to echo this sentiment.
    Tell us what you need, not what you think you need. The disparity between the two can often be quite large.
  • You want a full-face helmet for using on the road? Seriously?

Tell us what you need, not what you think you need. The disparity between the two can often be quite large.

Hi, I need a good looking helmet, pref one that doesnt stick out too much like a big head and something that looks fashionable.
    i will be using this for road/sometimes pavements - which involve some hills which are a regular route. hence I was contemplating a full face? what do you think?
    and also contemplating urge o mantic.
    something that is fairly cheap

suggestions would be appreciated.
    thank you very much
  • I suggest you don't ride on the pavement or care what you look like. Just ride (where you're allowed)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't think this dude is so daft. I always said road riding is more dangerous than downhill.
    Maybe some armour & a neck brace as well.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You want a full-face helmet for using on the road? Seriously?

Hi, I need a good looking helmet, pref one that doesnt stick out too much like a big head and something that looks fashionable.
    i will be using this for road/sometimes pavements - which involve some hills which are a regular route. hence I was contemplating a full face? what do you think?
    and also contemplating urge o mantic.
    something that is fairly cheap

suggestions would be appreciated.
    thank you very much
    Well, it's your choice at the end of the day, but the reason people use open face helmets for XC, road, and any heavy-effort cycling, is so that you can breathe better, and stay cooler. Full face helmets are hot, and stuffy, and aren't well suited to road riding. The chances of coming off are also far greater than if you were doing something like DH racing, which is where full face helmets are often used.

As for fit, you need to try a load on. Not only do helmets come in different sizes, but helmets from different manufacturers also vary in shape. Try them on, and pick one that fits your skull properly.

I can sense some sarcasm from the others here, yes, riding on the road is dangerous, and accidents can be really bad, and are often worse than MTBing accidents - but they happen far less often.
  • cooldad
    Stylish (that's what it says)
    ca0ef2fc-1e48-471e-a7fa-a3c8414ffdb4.jpg

Urge Downs Syndrome O Matic?
    urge-down-o-matic-helmet.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    As Yeehaa said, full face are seriously unpleasant to pedal in. Just try on a load of open face and get the one that feels the most comfortable. THey are all made to a minimum standard.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools

• I can sense some sarcasm from the others here, yes, riding on the road is dangerous, and accidents can be really bad, and are often worse than MTBing accidents - but they happen far less often.

I appreciate your reply. Yes this certain hill involves buses, parked cars and sometimes speeding cars. hence i decid to take the path.

Id like to say thank you for all the help and replies. If it weren't for you guys, i would have ordered a random helmet on the net without trying it on. thanks
    Thanks!!!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Any £60 full face helmet will be very very hot and heavy - even the best lightest most vented full face will not be pleasant for 16 miles on road riding up and down hills (well it will be OK for the downs I guess).

By an xc lid, learn not to skid your bike with the rear brake (use the front progressively, shoft your weight back, apply some back brake - call it 70/30 split front to rear for sake of arguement). Look well ahead to read the danger of the road be they pedestrians, cars, buses, pot holes, traffic lights etc. Enjoy the ride and try not to worry too much about the risks.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No way would I wear a full face on the road, my head gets sweaty enough in a road specific lid (all be it a more robust one than the racers would use)....maybe you need to learn to ride more assertively, it makes it much safer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.