CUBE LTD CLS

loppy
loppy Posts: 14
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi guys, i haven't had a bike since i was a teenager so a little out of touch!! i was wondering if you have any experience with the cube ltd cls, thinking of buying on mainly for use on the road (london to brighton) its seems a good bike and good spec for the money, any advice would be appreciated, many thanks, Steve

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A link would help but the spec on the one I saw was pretty basic.
    If you want to ride on the road, get a road bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • loppy
    cooldad wrote:
    A link would help but the spec on the one I saw was pretty basic.
    If you want to ride on the road, get a road bike.
    Well thanks for your condesending answer, but really you shouldnt have bothered, if you tipify the rest of the people
    on these forums i wont bother asking again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Condescending? Not at all, the one I looked at was pretty low spec for the money, but you might be looking at a good deal somewhere else. As you haven't mentioned cost, I have no other info to go on.
    And a road bike is much better on the road.
    I'm sure I in no way typify anyone else on the forum, my opinion is my opinion, you, or anyone else is perfectly within your rights to disagree.
    But this is the mountain bike forum, so my suggestion would be to get a mountain bike and do London to Brighton off road.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bloody hell!

CD is making a fair point. If you aim to do the London to Brighton on road, you really would be better off with a road bike or at least a hybrid.

However, if you also want a mtb for other reasons, perhaps hoping you'll get into it in the future & your L to B trip is just the excuse you need to get a bike, then yes a mountain bike will cope ok, if slower than a road or hybrid. You would be best investing in some slick tyres for the trip though.

In terms of the bike you referred to, again CD has a point. They can be poor spec for the money, but if you provide a link to the spec you are looking at and the price, then you'll get a more feedback.

As a general point, the Halfords (Boadman & Voodoo Hoodoo) & Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 tend to offer the best value to money if you're looking at circa £450-£600 price range - which I'm guessing you are given your fist suggestion.
  • loppy
    Guys, thanks for answering and putting you points across, as bike enthusiasts i just assumed that you would know what i was talking about, i should have made myself clearer for that i apologize, after all this, the CUBE i was on about i thought was a hybrid so i have maybe put it in the wrong forum anyway! here is the spec for you to look at, if any is still talking to me.
    Cube Ltd CLS Hybrid Bike Introduction
    A cross touring bike with a dynamic riding position. The 24-speed components is perfect for leisure and fitness riding. The Multi-Feature Dropout allows fast and simple fitting of fender, carriers, kickstand and disc brake. Bottle cages can be mounted at the seat tube and the down tube. The dynamic top tube enhances the stiffness of the frame. The Shimano Alivio components come with EZ-FIRE shifter/brake lever and 24-speeds.The Easton EA30 stem handlebar combination looks sleek but is sturdy. On the lady version the Humpert Ergorizer handlebar is mounted.

Specification and Features of the Cube Ltd CLS Hybrid Bike
    •46, 50, 54, 58, 62; Lady: 46, 50, 54
    •Alu Lite Trekking Cross
    •black white print
    •Suntour NEX
    •FSA No. 10 semi-integrated
    •Easton EA30, 25.4mm
    •Easton EA30 Riser
    •CUBE Performance Grips
    •Shimano Alivio RD-M410 Top Normal
    •Shimano FD-M310 Top Swing, 34.9mm
    •Shimano ST-EF40, 8-Speed
    •Shimano BR-M422 V-Brake Front & Rear
    •Shimano FC-M311 48x36x26T., 175mm, Shimano BB-UN26, Chainguard
    •Shimano CS-HG31 11-30T., 8-Speed
    •KMC Z7
    •Schürmann Yak19 V-Brake
    •Schwalbe 20-622
    •Shimano HB-RM40
    •Shimano FH-RM30
    •Schwalbe Smart Sam Active 44x622
    •Schwalbe Impac AV17
    •Cross Alloy
    •Selle Royal Viper
    •Easton EA30 31.6mm
    •Scape Varioclose 34.9mm
    •13,2 kg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is ridiculously heavy for a hybrid of that price. This is better equipped and much lighter:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping
  • loppy
    thanks for the link, yep it certinatly is lighter, thats about all i understand!! , i have read mixed reviews of halfords bikes and the service they provide, and i wanted to support the local bike shop, now i just dont know!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The local shop might not be any better ;-). Unless you know of the service. This goes for Halfords, the branches vary. The Carrera and Boardman bikes win award after award, the quality for the money is excellent.
  • loppy
    The local shop is very good with a good reputation and has been trading for many years it is in fact the only one left! but i understand your point, i have also read how good Cube bikes are, i want something that i can ride without the worry of being too light and maybe a little fragile, i am not the fittest anymore so wont be setting the world alight in my riding so if it is a little heavier then maybe that isn't so much a factor at the moment, so really i am looking for reliable bike, i think i will have a look at the boardman at the weekend and compare the two, but i do like the cube it seems a really nice built bike. thanks for your advice. :mrgreen:
  • The Boardman is a better bike and will be more fun to ride and therefore you are more more likely to keep it up.

Support your local bike shop by using them for future servicing, consumables such as bike cleaner & lube, tubes & kit etc. But there is no point getting a worse machine from misguided loyalty.