Front shifter-mech-crankset 9/10 speed compatibility

lochussie
lochussie Posts: 276
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Can you freely mix 9 and 10 speed front shifters, mechs, rings and cranksets? Eg combine my old SLX double+bash with new 9 or 10 speed rings, 2x10 mech and 2/3x10 shifter?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All in Tech FAQ's above.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But yes.....caveat being that someetimes the shifting isn't quite as food and it can be fussy on indexing
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But yes.....caveat being that someetimes the shifting isn't quite as food and it can be fussy on indexing
    Food. Mmmm now I'm peckish. Sausage, egg and chips will go down I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    All in Tech FAQ's above.
    Ah, sorry, didn't notice the FAQ above the FAQ.
  • From the FAQ:
    4. Nine speed front dérailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front dérailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front dérailleur.

So: front shifter-mech can be different with no problem, mech-crankset can be different but won't work optimally? How bad is not optimally? Is it the ring positions or the rings themselves that cause the issue? I'm aiming for my rebuild to work like a (well built) new bike so not keen on compromise.
  • So buy the correct stuff
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As I said before, sometimes they work fine The shifter is to all intents identical anyway), sometimes the shifting can feel a bit slow and sometimes they are critical of indexing, how 'much' all those are will depend on the exact mix of components, the same applies when going from 8 to 9 and we found on mine it worked perfectly but the lads needed really fine indexing and needed tweaking almost every ride, when we swapped the front mech it fixed it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.