Cyclocross commuting

LauraP
LauraP Posts: 4
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
I'm returning to cycling after a gap of a few years. I have only done road riding before, but have just sold my road bike with the intention of getting something more versatile and sturdy, primarily for a commute (8 miles each way) that takes in road and bridleway. I also want to do some light touring on the same bike as I only want to own one bike.

I like the racing riding position, so it seems like a cyclocross is the way to go, but which one?

I am currently considering the following:

Moda Legato 2012 model
http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... s_id=11567

Pros
Very light (sub 9 Kg) - good for me as I'm a 9-stone woman
Ex-display high spec model (e.g. carbon fibre handlebars), good price (£1100) from local dealer
Moda is a UK Company

Cons
Still quit pricey even at discounted price (£1100)
Cantilever brakes

Jamis Nova Sport 2013 model
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec041504

Pros
Inexpensive (£580)
Disc brakes

Cons
Heavier (11 Kg) than Moda
Jamis is non-UK company (it's US)

Revolution Cross 2012 model
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes

Pros
Least expensive (£449)
Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative is UK and it's a Cooperative

Cons
Heaviest (12 Kg)
Cantilever brakes

I'd welcome any advice and/or comments.

Thanks,
Laura

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are considering touring, and want to fit racks to the frame, check the frame has the necessary mounts. The Moda doesn't state whether it does.
  • Thanks for the reply. The Moda I'm considering does have the necessary mounts for touring.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    hi, what about a cube cross race, there`s a disc model out now and seems to cover all bases! hope this helps
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I have a Revolution Cross and I call it "The Maid of All Work" It's not the lightest out there, but it's solid, EBC weigh the bike with the pedals and stiff on it so the weight difference isn't as big as you'd think.

Only downside is the brakes need better pads, but I'm nearly twice the OP's weight so it might be a moot point.

It's very good off road too.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • I commute a similar distance on a Dawes Edge X cross bike, had it for over a year now, excellent all rounder, little heavy, but with rack / lights etc on it it doesnt bother me. Tiagra groupset, comes with the front shifter than can cope with a double or triple setup - have used for loaded touring briefly this summer - worked like a charm. discontinued, and therefore if you are the right size, can be found cheap. The 53cm is a good fit for me @ 5'11" - would say you could be comfortable 1.5 inch either side.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b&vid=6000
  • Thanks for the comments and suggestions - much appreciated.

I've had a look at the new suggestions:
    The cube cross race disc looks like a great bike, but bit pricey for me (£1299)
    The Dawes Edge X is a good price (£570), but I can only find the 53 cm size and I think that may be a bit big for me (I'm 5 ft 4 in)

There's only one of the original 3 that I posted about that got any feedback - the EBC Revolution - and it's all good, so this looks like a great entry-level option without breaking the bank. I think I'll go for that.

Thanks everyone.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have you looked at Charge bikes?

The Filter HI may fit your requirements and the 2012 model is on sale from Wiggle for £700.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • FJJ
    FJJ Posts: 43
    I'd suggest looking at the Boardman CX Team too - I've got one and absolutely love it. It's got disc brakes, mounting for rack/guards etc. List price at Halfords is £899.00 but there is often sales and you can use 10% British Cycling voucher too.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Genesis Vapour?

Cotic X?

Both British-ish options.
  • GuyR
    GuyR Posts: 1
    Have to say, I love my Revolution Cross. Bought it to replace a Halfords Subway on the daily commute and to stand in for the nice road bike on weekend winter rides. The daily commute is about 7 miles one way, not far at all but living in Sheffield means that there are plenty of hills inbetween work and home. (Any one who knows the Granville Road / City Road climb up to Manor Top will know that). But for what is a heavyish bike compared to some, we manage to fly up it! I agree with the previous post though, stopping power was greatly improved by new brake blocks, but apart from that I wouldnt change a thing. For the price its a great bike! I wouldnt want to pay a lot more for a commuter anyway, my theory being that the extra quality for a more expensive bike is offset by me not wanting to spoil it by bashing down potholes and getting it covered in all the usual winter road dirt (maybe thats just me though). And one more thing, only had a few longer weekend rides so far but it stands up pretty well in comparison to the full on road bike, not much slower and although heavier the lower gears mean the effort still feels about the same. I probably sound like a salesman for EBC but in my opinion its the perfect do it all bike, does everything I was hoping for and more!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Check for front mudguard eyelets as well as rear rack fittings.
    I have cantilever and disc bikes and the disc is far more reasuring.
    Some CX bikes have special wheels with special spokes from special factories made by special people. The ordinary kind are easier to find in every bike shop.
  • I have a Genesis Croix de Fer CX bike and I love it, great ride, it's got disc brakes and eyelets to take mudguards and racks, plus it's British-ish too. The 2013 model is a lovely shade of off-black. Their Day One Alfine- with hub gears- looks similarly sweet. Other than that, I've ridden a Boardman CX Team and found that to be an enjoyable ride too.
  • I bought the Boardman CX a few weeks ago for use as my winter bike, commuter & light tourer (replacement for a Specialized Tricross as I wanted disk brakes). Very pleased with it so far, fairly quick & comfortable. Did a 60 mile ride at the weekend & it was a pleasure to ride.

Add the Tricross & Whyte Charing Cross to your options.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Revolution Cross, unbeatable for the price, my numbers 1 and 2 sons have one each which they beat up mercilessly.
  • YIMan wrote:
    Genesis Vapour?
    I'm in the same boat and this is the one I'm seriously looking at. It has holes for rack and mudguards, too.
  • I went through all this and went for the Felt F65X. the only bit missing was the mounts for the front 'guard. Oddly it has the hole at the fork crown but nothing on the forks themselves.

I used the mounts from some SKS raceblades I had on the full length 'guards and it works perfectly (it does have mounts on the rear forks)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • If you are going to do touring, then why not get a touring bike! It will cope just fine with all your other proposed uses, very comfortable and stable with a massive spread of gears. Weight is a bit of a red herring IMO within reason, you can always take the racks off when not being used, and a steel frame and fork will last and last. E.g. a Kona Sutra comes ready kitted out with mudguards and front and rear racks and has disk brakes, all for under a grand: http://www.cyclelane.co.uk/m4b3s21p5678 ... S_GB/19352 By the time you have kitted out a Cross Bike out the same it will look and weigh similar anyway, but will have cost more and be less well designed for the job.
  • the only bit missing was the mounts for the front 'guard. Oddly it has the hole at the fork crown but nothing on the forks themselves.
    Maybe the makers intended for front guards to be mounted to the frame (like this)?
  • the only bit missing was the mounts for the front 'guard. Oddly it has the hole at the fork crown but nothing on the forks themselves.
    Maybe the makers intended for front guards to be mounted to the frame (like this)?

Rear guards have the mounts, and those post mounted ones look daft on a road (style) bike, IMHO.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    The revolution has by far the most sensible spread of gears for touring. Get you up Venteux with a pig of a head wind in your face, fully loaded.
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/