Measuring fork ride height

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Can someone confirm that the ride height measurement for forks is from the top of the crown to the centre of the axle?

Looking at getting some sus forks but don't want to mess with the current geometry too much.

Cheers.
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• Yes
  • scale20
    Cheers for the replies.

The forks I am after are well within the frames recommended length, I am just trying to figure out how much it will change my position on the bike, as it is now its fine.

On carbon rigids at the mo.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    scale20 wrote:
    Can someone confirm that the ride height measurement for forks is from the top of the crown to the centre of the axle?

Looking at getting some sus forks but don't want to mess with the current geometry too much.

Cheers.
    what are you really asking?

what is fork ride height? or what do you mean by it?

Axel to crown height is the measurement you have suggested for measuring a fork in its extended length.

no company that i know of use a measurement of ride height. they may list things with a fork of a certain length. but ride height that is just to vague.

maybe state the frame and the fork you are looking at.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scale20
    DT Swiss forks

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=81140

in the description

Ride Height: Ride Height: 515 mm

My above question was answered, the ride height, crown to axle on my current forks (Niner carbon RDO) is 470mm.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • You have got sag to take into the equation. Unless that has already been included when they quote "ride height"?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    a to c is fully extended so is not what anyone sensible would call ride height which would surely be the a to c at nominal sag.

Either way those DT swiss are clearly far too 'big' for your bike being at least 45mm longer (more so if ride height is really the height when riding).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • scale20
    CRC claim a ride height of 515mm but DT say it's 503mm.

On DTs website they measure ride height from centre of axle to top of crown.

The frame will take the 100 mm forks and wont be too big with the required sag. I just asked the original question about measuring ride height because Im considering getting some sus forks. I like the ride height of my current rigids and didnt really want to gain too much height on the front end.

Its one of those where they state ride height in some descriptions but just needed to know what the ride height was and where it was measured from.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ask them, it could be either extended or at nominal sag as it's not a 'standard'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.