Tyre Wear (pic attached)

millsey_awm
millsey_awm Posts: 54
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

This is my rear Conti GP 4 seasons tyre. I recently bought the bike 2nd hand. As you can see there are cracks on the tyre. I've done a few rides now without problem but am concerned i should replace it. I have some spare 4 seasons anyway.

Would you replace it now or leave it for a bit?

Thanks all :mrgreen:

Comments

• i had the same and it started coming away in chunks. Considering its the only bit between you and the road I would swap it esp as you have new tyres. You dont know the history of them and they are not expensive in the big picture of things. Me I would bin it not worth the £40-50 saving for what could happen.
  • Looks like UV degradation. Its physical properties will have been affected, almost certainly including road grip, so I agree, replace it.

There's umpteen tyre threads on here and you may not have to pay more than £25 to £35 for a decent replacement.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    ^+1 agreed thats rubber fatigue. Time for a new set.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes that's not worn - just aged. I'd replace and possibly hang onto it to see if it could do duty on a turbo or something instead.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My back tyre, also a Conti 4 Seasons, was squared off and looked like that after 3 years. I left it and I got another 18 months out of it. At that point the council "resurfaced" many of the roads round here and the abrasive chippings shredded what was left of the rubber and it came away in chunks so the carcase was showing through. Impressively it still didn't puncture.

Wouldn't have risked it on the front.

I still rate them and the replacement tyre is also a Conti 4 Seasons. New tyre on the front, old one moved to the back and entering it's 6th year of use. (I don't get to ride as much as I'd like)