Cycle from Ireland to Moscow

markshacko
markshacko Posts: 3
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hey guys

I have some time off in July/August 2013 and me and one of my friends are hoping to cycle from Ireland to Moscow and I was wondering if anyone has does this trip or any ideas on it? I know there is a route called the eurovelo route 2 which goes from Galway to Moscow but this goes through all the capitals and I was wondering does that mean that there is a lot of main road cycling as I would definitely prefer to be cycling country roads rather than main ones and was thinking of camping to cut down on costs!!

Any info would be great,
Cheers,

Mark

Comments

• I've no experience of the Eurovelo routes so don't know if they are on quiet roads, but looking at the map another option could be to link up a couple of sections from the other routes if you didn't want to do the capitals one - may be through quieter places. i.e. once in Europe follow the North Sea Cycle route (No.12) and then cross over in Germany to the Baltic Sea cycle route (No.13) or Iron Curtain trail (No.10) to Riga and then make your own way to Moscow from there.
    Alternatively, mark the places you want to visit and make your own route...
  • you must avoid main roads or it wouild be pure hell-- shredded head ! i think the advice you've had is good, personally i would not head for moscow but Istanbul-- the gateway to the east !
    that way you would go through romania, and moldova-- give it some thought !
  • Thats cool, thanks for the ideas...i'll check them out. The reason for heading to Moscow rather than Istanbul is because the world athletics championships are on there in August and I plan on going to them and was looking for a fun and enjoyable way of getting there that would be a bit of a challenge!!