Bike insurance

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Recently got a high end full susser. Also have an half decent winter hardtail 29er on the way as well as a Carrera TDF and my GF mtb Need some insurance good company recommendations please.

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Add it to your house insurance cost me an extra £100 over the year through axa with my bike s named and replaced by equivalent models new.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    tarbot - out of interest, what does that actually cover you for. Obviously theft from your home, but what about out and about, removable parts, etc. If you locked the frame to something but the wheels got nicked, would they be covered or would the insurer claim that you hadn't secured them properly? Also what's the excess?
  • Look at m&s home insurance too. They are very good with bikes, home & away is covered just so long as they are locked (doesn't even have to be a specific level of lock)
  • The Rolls Royce of cycle cover: http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/bicycle ... tAodbHoAHA

Covers crash damage, theft from house, theft from vehicle, get you home cover, pulic liability, european cover, and if you want breakdown cover. Get discounts for multiple bikes

It's not that cheap though, but good piece of mind if you have an expensive carbon steed
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • The cost of insurance is astronomical. Problem is that the police really don't seem to take theft of bikes that serious. Kinda a case of it's nicked it's lost. Thing is bikes are well expensive these days and while many could do better and not offer their bikes up to the thieving basts, it is a crime that is getting out of hand.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Look at m&s home insurance too. They are very good with bikes, home & away is covered just so long as they are locked (doesn't even have to be a specific level of lock)

They've wised up to that - £1000 limit on bikes now unless declared, at which point the price sky rockets. If you have the old, £4k unspecified policy, hang onto it!

Protectyourbubble want £53 a month for my MTB alone, that's insane!
  • Fair point re M&S, I did have to specify my bikes, but the price was still competitive and cheaper than my renewal quote from my old insurance.

I was also attracted by the fact that there wasn't stringent stipulations about type of locks etc which are loopholes that are easy to fall foul of (indeed, so long as the shed is locked they are covered without any locks at all, and covered with a basic lockable roof rack on the car etc)