Knee Warmer Recco

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
So I should start by saying that I think knee warmers are the work of the devil and 3/4 tights are the most pointless bit of cycling kit since mermaid cycle clips.

BUT I decided to try some knee warmers (Assos on promo from the outlet store) but I can't get on with them because the narrow end is too narrow and cuts into my lower leg wherever I wear them. Are there any that are likely to fit me better?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Been using Specialized Knee Warmers for a couple of years and find they fit nice.

How high up your calf are you wearing them?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    And which size did you buy? I have "II" from Cycle Surgery's Assos sale last year and they are comfortable on my normal pins (32W33L, non-Hoy thighs), but require tucking under bib tights to keep in place (see thigh comment, supra).
  • The Assos outlet ones are "one size" http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/produ ... ee-warmers though I see that the S7 ones on Sigma are 3 sizes.... :?

I've tried wearing them at everything from just below the knee to as far down my calf as I can (to the point at which a small gap appeared between the warmer & my shorts...)

Maybe I need to order the Size II ones....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have some lusso roubaix ones from years ago, I have them as far down as the widest part of my calves, there is a stitch line where panels meet at the back of the knee which tends to set them at that length and most of the time they stay put. Only now and again does the left hand one bunch up a bit which is a tad annoying.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Spesh Roubaix for me every time.

I have two pairs of Rapha full length in L that do the same, not design for people with non JG builds
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • If I wore the current "one size" Assos knee warmers on the widest part of my calf, I think they would cut off the blood circulation. They certainly don't ride up either as (bizarrely, to my mind) they only have gripper at the bottom - so, combined with the tightness, they tend to slip down. I have the Assos leg warmers which are fine. Maybe this particular version of their knee warmer is just duff
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    MRS, you live in Inverness. Inverness is in Scotland. This means when its cold enough to cover up the peely wallies, its almost certainly damp and mucky enough for shoe covers. Why do you want bare ankles? Is leaf litter good for the skin?

Knee warmers came around at about the same time as those shorts misguided men started to wear at the gym, which sat about 1/2 way up the shin, didn't they? In the same way, did anyone actually want or need knee warmers before they were told that they needed them? If they weren't being told by Assos that they looked cool, would people instead look at them and laugh?
  • when its cold enough to cover up the peely wallies, its almost certainly damp and mucky enough for shoe covers. Why do you want bare ankles? Is leaf litter good for the skin?
    So I should start by saying that I think knee warmers are the work of the devil and 3/4 tights are the most pointless bit of cycling kit since mermaid cycle clips.

Agree wholeheartedly (as you can see) - it's just that so many people wear them that I feel I must be missing a trick. In fact, I tend to think it's some sort of mass "emperor's new clothes" syndrome. Knee warmers (and 3/4 tights even more so) seem to have all the downsides of tights (restriction around the knees) without all the benefits (warm & dry shins & therefore warm feet).

I've persevered with knee warmers because, frankly, they're cheap (relatively) and I can always donate them to a friend if I don't (as I suspect) get on with them at all.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Have you ever considered using them as elbow warmers? They are all the rage on the continent.

People are lemmings. When my leg warmers ride up, my ankles get cold so I pull them down again. Trust your instincts.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    If I wore the current "one size" Assos knee warmers on the widest part of my calf, I think they would cut off the blood circulation. They certainly don't ride up either as (bizarrely, to my mind) they only have gripper at the bottom - so, combined with the tightness, they tend to slip down. I have the Assos leg warmers which are fine. Maybe this particular version of their knee warmer is just duff

My ones only have a gripper at the top, the bottom of them dont but arent tight enough to cut off circulation on my calves and they tend to move up rather than down, if I could get ones that just covered my knee and a little above that would be perfect but they tend to think we need half a shin covering too