New bike for £600 ish?

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
The only slight catch is it has to be from Halfords as I have a voucher from insurance company to replace my stolen bike.

So, after looking at some in store today my options are:

1) Voodoo Hoodoo £499

2) Carrera Fury £599

3) VooDoo Bokor £679

4) Boardman Comp £699

I'm going to try and hold on for a bit to see if any of the above fall into some kind of sale some time soon but the above prices are as they were today.

It's general use will be riding through local woods/trails etc with a bit of on road riding too. No big down hill/big jump stuff.

I would appreciate people's thoughts/opinions on which would be the better bike/spec to go for with the Halfords choice I have. I don't mind adding some cash to the voucher if it means I will end up with a better bike.

I'm having a hard time trying to decide so any advice would be much appreciated :wink:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Boardman, if it was £600. But it isn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    The Boardman, if it was £600. But it isn't.

Lol, so which one, as it isn't £600? Or is it worth the extra?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah just cut out beer for a month.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • the voodoo hoodoo was 475 quid but just gone up....dont know when next price drop will be....also join british cycling to get 10 % off at halfords http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ it costs 12 quid but u save 50 quid ( 38 quid gain)

i did it when i bought my hoodoo 2 months ago
  • MaJeeKa wrote:
    the voodoo hoodoo was 475 quid but just gone up....dont know when next price drop will be....also join british cycling to get 10 % off at halfords http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ it costs 12 quid but u save 50 quid ( 38 quid gain)

Thanks for the info, I have already looked at the British cycling but I don't think I can use another discount voucher with my voucher from insurance?

Halfords currently doing £40 off if spend £400 I think but that's a web only thing so prob can't use voucher for that either as think it's in store use only?

Need more opinions/votes people! :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd get the Fury, won the tests in MBUK recently.
  • I would get the Carrera Fury aswell. I had one and it was brilliant. The Elixir 1 brakes were spot on, 2x10 setup, good air fork.
    I changed the bar to a Truvativ Style Race and fitted some lock on grips, put a Charge Spoon saddle on and it was quite a weapon.

A previous thread with some piccies:

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12853414&hilit=carrera+fury+steed
  • Interesting, that's the first time anyone has mentioned the fury. I posted the same thing on another forum and 8 out of 11 people have said the Boardman.

How does the spec compare on the fury to say the hoodoo or Boardman?
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I prefer the Fury over the Boardman too, even if they were the same price. It has the new 2012 SRAM X5 2X10 gearing for one thing
  • stiscooby wrote:
    MaJeeKa wrote:
    the voodoo hoodoo was 475 quid but just gone up....dont know when next price drop will be....also join british cycling to get 10 % off at halfords http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ it costs 12 quid but u save 50 quid ( 38 quid gain)

Thanks for the info, I have already looked at the British cycling but I don't think I can use another discount voucher with my voucher from insurance?

Halfords currently doing £40 off if spend £400 I think but that's a web only thing so prob can't use voucher for that either as think it's in store use only?

the voucher you have from your insurance is like a gift voucher isnt it??, the british cycling is a normal 10% so you should be able to use both, ask in your local store and phone the customer service. im saying do both as you may get a good result from one or both of them.

i vote go's for the voodoo as it only seems to get rave reviews, but if you had the extra cash i would say go for a boardman team. i have the pro version and i think its amazing :)
  • stiscooby wrote:
    MaJeeKa wrote:

the voucher you have from your insurance is like a gift voucher isnt it??, the british cycling is a normal 10% so you should be able to use both, ask in your local store and phone the customer service. im saying do both as you may get a good result from one or both of them.

i vote go's for the voodoo as it only seems to get rave reviews, but if you had the extra cash i would say go for a boardman team. i have the pro version and i think its amazing :)

Yes, the voucher is a gift type thing but it does state on the back of the letter that it cannot be used in conjunction with a web only deal/offer and something else about using it with any other discount voucher.

Can try my luck I guess, might get a numpty in the shop who pays no attention! :wink:

Boardman Team - Hhmmm bit more than what I would like to spend really. The comp is probably about as far as I would want to go.
  • I used to have the Boardman Comp, only got rid of it because I took advantage of thwe C2W scheme to upgrade to a Boardman FS Team. It was a great bike, I used it on trails and road.

I'm pretty sure the current spend £400/save £40 doesnt apply to the Boardman range at the moment though, worth checking though.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • ElliesDad wrote:
    I used to have the Boardman Comp, only got rid of it because I took advantage of thwe C2W scheme to upgrade to a Boardman FS Team. It was a great bike, I used it on trails and road.

I'm pretty sure the current spend £400/save £40 doesnt apply to the Boardman range at the moment though, worth checking though.

Yep, I noticed that the other day, Boardman bikes excluded from current offer.