does this need fixed?

stpboy
stpboy Posts: 30
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
i was just changing my rear derialer cable today and i take the old cable off and notice this has happend

DSCF8139.jpg

the plastic bit at the end looks snapped

Comments

• Can see what you mean. Better picture required.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    It's just unscrewed as you've let it out too much. Just screw it back in.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a metal cup and spring inside the plastic bit - you'll probably need to push it through a bit, against the tension of the spring, to get the threads to mesh.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stpboy
    theres no threads on it thats where i got the snapped idea from
  • cooldad
    Then you've lost a bit.
    Except I'm sure I can see the threaded bit sticking out with the cable and end cap in it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stpboy
    it looks threaded in the picture but in reality its just chewed up, can this part be replaced? am i right in thinking its the bit to put more tension on the cable by screwming it out?
  • cooldad
    The bit inside is metal, and I doubt it's chewed up - take all the bits apart and take another pic.
    8620.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stpboy
    mine doesnt have that metal bit i think it was just the plastic bit that was longer and had a thread on the end
  • cooldad
    I doubt it but a new one is £1.99 at CRC.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes so pull the black pit you turn up and push the metal bit down and screw it back in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stpboy
    thanks ill give this a shot, might have a look through my spares 2morow and see if iv got anything to replace it with
  • nicklouse
    stpboy wrote:
    thanks ill give this a shot, might have a look through my spares 2morow and see if iv got anything to replace it with
    why?

is anything broken?

just looks like it has come undone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stpboy
    if i cant get it fixed by doing what he said, iv got a couple shifters in the shed i could maybe see how there fitted together
  • nicklouse
    then separate it and look at it.

596747488_tp.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The silver bit in the photo's is black on yours but clearly visible, you've just unscrewed it, you're not the first and won't be the last.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.