Loose pinch bolts on new bike

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Picked up my new Triban 3 from Decathlon on Thursday night.

I was looking it over today and found both pinch bolts on the stem very loose. The bike was still on the stand when I arrived but the workshop guy said it was good to go and let me have it. Fairly sure I would have stacked it if I had taken it out.

So is there anything else I should check? Everything else seems OK. I haven't touched the top cap, as I don't have a clue what it does. :D

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    IMO you should check every fastener on your new bike. It should come perfectly setup but sometimes even the best mechanics make mistakes let alone the incompetent ones who don't have a clue. Most fasteners are a no brainer, tight/not tight but for the ones that need special torque or adjustment to the parts there are plenty of videos available. Just google what you need. It's always better to know how to work on your own bike. I've seen plenty of frightening setups by shop mechanics over the years.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You've already done the steering. Next I'd check that the wheels are securely held by the QR skewers, and that the brake caliper mounting bolts are not loose. Depending on the Bb / chainset you may need to check the tightness of the bolt (s) securing the left hand crank after a couple of weeks.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd check all of the bolts myself and then again after a couple of shake down rides.
  • Thanks for the replies, everything seems fine now. Will check again after a couple more rides.