Well Done, Mr Kennedy

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
They're going to be closing lanes on the Kessock Bridge in the spring which will cause a bit of traffic issues (at least by Highland standards). As part of the contingency plans, they're looking to encourage cycling. So far so good. The BBC have encouraged suggestions to improve congestion and indicated that Traffic Scotland are looking for ideas.

I decided to grasp this opportunity to improve my commute as the Bridge and the mile or so after it are by far the worst bits. Debris that the bridge collects means that's where I get 90% of my punctures and, in a ridiculous practice, when they do sweep it, they sweep the crap into piles and then don't collect them for several days by which time the wind and rain have spread them about. In the meantime they create a hazard themselves. Cycle paths are in really poor shape.

Anyhow, I copied my letter to Danny Alexander (Inverness MP and government minister). He forwarded it to Charles Kennedy (my MP). I'm really impressed with Mr Kennendy's response - very thorough. He's going to contact Traffic Scotland and the local councillor and will come back to me when he has responses. I've not yet had a response from Traffic Scotland myself yet. It's good to know, though, that my MP is taking cycling seriously.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH