Tubeless Advice - Hole In Rim Tape At Spoke, Retape/Patch?

Curious Yellow
Curious Yellow Posts: 281
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As above. Trying to get a Schwalbe Nobby Nic onto a Stans Crest ZTR rim. Tyre feels like it will seat (can see it get nice and fat when I'm inflating it with the track pump) but air is leaking out of a hole at the spoke nipple where the yellow tape's punctured while I was trying to get the bead to seat using my tyre levers.

My options are:
- Remove the yellow tape (only one layer used as advised by notubes.com) and reapply a single fresh layer. Have a go again.
- Clean the tape and apply a second layer and hope this will fix it. Have a go again.
- Bodge it with a single patch of yellow tape where the hole is. Have a go again.
- Put the sealant in and have a go again in the hope that it will seal the rim tape puncture. Not sure if this will work either.
- Remove the yellow tape and apply two layers for insurance and have a go again. Not sure if this will make seating the tyre even more of a bugger. It is tough enough as it is!

Thanks.

Comments

• All of the above will no doubt work but the easiest will be to just chuck the sealant in
  • Cheers.

A bit concerned that the sealant getting in around the spoke may bugger things up when it comes to wheel trueing time. Anyway, probably worth doing it right. I've got the tyre off the rim now anyway.

If you've got any tips for popping the last bit of the tyre onto the rim then it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Bugger, now finding it leaking around the stem. What a pain.

One thing about tubeless. You'd better be damned sure these are the tyres you want when you fit them!
  • It always leaks around the stem I just keep pumping with one hand to maintain pressure and jig the wheel around with the other - stem at the bottom - it will plug!
  • Yup, just realised in addition to the stem there's a hole in the tyre in the area close to the valve as well! Filled it up with Stans fluid now. Sealed, done the disco moves and laid it on its side. Here's hoping it'll retain pressure overnight!

Fingers are raw and it hurts to type though.