Winter Gloves - Too much choice!!

edewer
edewer Posts: 99
edited November 2012 in Road general
Hi All,

looking at getting some new gloves to see me through the cooler times ahead, and a bit bamboozled by all the choices! my LBS is a Specialized concept store, so only their kit available and no real choice, so wanted opinions of other.

So, whats the criteria?
- I commute 3-4 days a week, 10 miles of flat but its fairly open land, and so theres a fair windchill factor. My hours mean that I come home in the dark when its that bit cooler.
- Sundays are the only day I can pile on more miles as I start at 11, so go out at 7, so again early start in near-dark when its cold.
- generally a fair weather cyclist, so waterproofing not top of the list
- I HATE really thick gloves/mittens
-budget cannot break £40, which I feel is a reasonable one to work to!

Any help much appreciated

Ed

Comments

• You won't go far wrong with Sealskins. I have a pair and they are excellent.
  • You won't go far wrong with Sealskins. I have a pair and they are excellent.

+1

Great gloves.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Really depends how cold your fingers get I've done fine with my endura dexter wind proofs but they get too hot on training rides in all but the coldest conditions. I have just switched to full finger spesh bg gel wiretap they are super comfy for training but not that warm.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Endura windchill, they're not bulky, the do the job well and for colder days I put on a liner glove too. Layers seem to work better for me.
  • Hi,

I have 3 pairs:
    Altura Night Vision Windproof for temps 0-+12 degrees
    Altura Night Vision Waterproof for temps -8-+2 degrees
    Gore UnderWear glowes as add ons at the lower end of those temp ranges

When the temperature goes under that -8 I use ordinary thick skiing mittens down to some -18 degrees. Colder than that I don't bike.

I do both everyday 20 kms commuting and weekly 2-3 hours training rides in quite snowy conditions with these glove sets.

I don't think the wind as such makes any big difference, it's more the speed of the bike causing the wind/chill problems. Another thing is that we are all somewhat different so you might need to experiment with different glowes to find the right ones for our hands.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    just ordered these but missed the post today

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85369

picking them up from the post office tomorrow so will let you know what they are like
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    picked up some cheap aldi gloves in the sale a few weeks ago - they are warm but bulky and the hand moves aroud too much in the liners and you sweat. Pretty good for a fiver though. Bit the bullet and bought a pair of sealskins flourescent yellow gloves with merino wool lining. Never thought I'd spend £30 on a pair of gloves but they are marvellous - nit too bulky to use the brifters fluently and warm enough for 5 C rides, and very breathable, no sweat, no discomfort, best gloves ever. Buy some. Now.
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... ps-sellers
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I went with these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-neoprene-glove/

Warm, and waterproof, highly recommended.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    Weighing up the bulk vs warmth ratio I've opted for the Atura Windproof Winter Gloves in the Black. Gone for a Large, which I hope is big enough, but using the sizing guide I think they'll be fine.

If I struggle I'll opt for some DHB liners to make them a little warmer :)
  • just bought some altura ergo fit thingys from evans while in the uk last week. fantastic fit and warm
  • Sealskinz Ultragrip Gloves are good.