posting a bike to belfast

foy
foy Posts: 296
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Can anyone recommend a decent courier please.

Comments

• Having done this a few times - sadly the best (affordable) bet is parcelforce. They charge NI deliveries the same as GB (even though its not GB but UK - if that makes sense).
  • Agreed.

It's a similar deal when shipping stuff to/from IOM.

Never had a problem with parcelforce tbh. They collect from your house, which is nice. And tbh I don't find them overly expensive (although I do appreciate couriers can be had a lot cheaper in England.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Paisley Freight? Wheelcourier? Both been good for me.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    Paisley Freight? Wheelcourier? Both been good for me.

To send to Ireland?

You know it's like, £40 right?

Or £60 if you want to send to IOM.

I'll stick with Parcelforce for £20 ta.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have sent all of my bikes or frames sold by parcelforce, never had an issue with them, quite reasonable on prices too.

I have also found that if you can get to the depot to post it you get better prices than in the post office although some post offices wont take parcels that big.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • foy
    I have been quoted £50 by parcelforce as the bike is valued at £500 and needs to be insured for that amount. The trouble with a lot of these cheap quoted prices is that they only allow a certain size and weight and you are only insured up to around £100 for loss or damage. Thank you for all your help.
  • foy
    edited November 2012
    Cat with no tail you are having a laugh when you say £20 to post a bike to Ireland. It actually cost me £60 with parcelforce to send a 20 kilo bike box insured to the value of the bike of £500. There must be loads of folk posting bikes and they will be way under insured if anything goes pear shaped or gets lost. Most companies only offer cover up to £100 for the cheap quoted prices.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends how you look at things - a tiny percentage go wrong, someone quoted less than 0.5% in another thread.
    If it costs approx £30 for £400 cover (over the standard £100) that's a rate of just over 7%.
    Someone's making a bit of a killing.
    I've posted dozens of bit, totalling thousands over the past few years with not a single problem, so if anything was to go wrong I'm well up on paying rip off prices for insurance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools