Best 2x10 setup for retaining chain

lochussie
lochussie Posts: 276
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm putting a new drivechain on. Probably the new SLX rear mech with clutch. Will this keep the chain on by itself or will I still need chain device? Currently run Blackspire Stinger, it works but is bash prone and makes a lot of noise and presumably friction. Anything better out there?

Comments

• Yes. Even a normal one'll keep the chain on.
  • With no chain device and non-clutch my nomad loses its chain on most semi rough descents. The chain is correct length (ie two overlappign links when not routed through mech).
  • You could get something like a Bionicon c-guide for extra security (and no weight gain) if you wanted.

Not used a clutch mech yet though so can't comment on how well they retain the chain, but as that's sort of the point of them, I'd imagine a c-guide may well be redundant.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Clutch helps keep the chain on but not quite as well as a chain device. Fit the clutch mech, if you have problems then fit a stinger.
    My stinger is nice & quiet and I have never bashed it
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222

Same here, awesome bit of kit for the money, haven't dropped a chain since I fitted it.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Clutch helps keep the chain on but not quite as well as a chain device. Fit the clutch mech, if you have problems then fit a stinger.
    What, so fit something that's £100 and doesn't always work then fit something that's £25 and does always works?

Surely just a chain device would be better...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are a number of reasons why a chain comes off, the clutch and stinger address different mechanisms, the Bionicon is similar to the stinger in that it addresses issues at the bottom of the chainwheels, though not certain the bionicon works with twin rings or only singles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    bionicon c guide works with any drive train I believe.

i've got it as an easy fix for my hardtail (2x9) that kept loosing it's chain on the same couple of descents, which i do on most of my local rides, and was driving me nuts. seems to have done the trick.
  • The Bionicon one will work with a triple if you so wish. When the rockhopper goes back into MTB mode, it'll have one fitted on the triple there. Aso ben running one on the double on the reed all year and it's great.
  • Cheers guys. You can now get clutch for decent price with SLX.
  • My Nomad dropped the chain from time to time with just a E13 DRS fitted. Now i've got a clutch rear mech I've never dropped the chain on any kind of rough descent
  • Has anyone got experience of the MRP x2? Might go with this as need a bash if I put on a 2x10 crankset.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I'm running the MRP x2. Been mostly alright, but had a few instances where I've smashed it hard enough on a rock for the chain to jump out of it. Problem is then that a quick trailside repair tends to leave it a bit out of alignment and the chain will jump out more from then on unless you take time to faff with it again. It's good, but needs to be setup correctly.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Holy bacon that's expensive! I would much rather have a blackspire stinger, a bashring and have most of the money left to spare than pay £120 for that crap.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    You options are very limited if you buy a dedicated 2x10 crankset. Can't get a bash on the XTs for instance, so the usual suspects don't really work.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces