edited November 2012 in The cake stop
wild_poppies.jpg

Lest We Forget

Comments

• The war to end all wars.

If only that were true.

Wear your poppy with pride folks.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • And if you're going past a ceremony at 1100am, for goodness sake stop and pause for two minutes. It won't win you any awards but it will help improve cyclists standing in the community. I seem to recall last year, there were reports of cyclists passing alongside ceremonies and ignoring the silence.

But thats just my view.
  • Wear your poppy with pride folks.
    I'll be on a long (for me anyway) ride Sunday morning.

Poppy is top of the kit list.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • And if you're going past a ceremony at 1100am, for goodness sake stop and pause for two minutes. ... But thats just my view.
    And mine.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    And if you're going past a ceremony at 1100am, for goodness sake stop and pause for two minutes. It won't win you any awards but it will help improve cyclists standing in the community. I seem to recall last year, there were reports of cyclists passing alongside ceremonies and ignoring the silence.

But thats just my view.
    +1. I'll be on the club run, I will try my best to keep my eye on the clock and stop, regardless of where we are at 11am.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    And if you're going past a ceremony at 1100am, for goodness sake stop and pause for two minutes.

Yes.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I think there should be a forgetful friday - when we all forget the lie that borders matter. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I think there should be a forgetful friday - when we all forget the lie that borders matter. :mrgreen:

I think there is, but it only seems to apply to certain countries. And not in a good way...
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    And if you're going past a ceremony at 1100am, for goodness sake stop and pause for two minutes. It won't win you any awards but it will help improve cyclists standing in the community. I seem to recall last year, there were reports of cyclists passing alongside ceremonies and ignoring the silence.

But thats just my view.

Really?

By all means show your respect, but don't judge others about it.
  • Gizmodo wrote:

But thats just my view.
    +1. I'll be on the club run, I will try my best to keep my eye on the clock and stop, regardless of where we are at 11am.

Likewise
  • You don't need to stop at the exact time to be respectful, our sunday league football games always kicked off at 10.30am as usual but we always had a minutes silence before the game.
  • Was going through a village at eleven, pulled up and stood alongside a fella to observe the silence with him, turned and looked and he was an old school friend I hadn't seen for years. Chatted for about 5-10mins then had to press on, I was getting too cold.

It was a lovely moment though.
    Tail end Charlie

• I was climbing up the Climb to the top of Pollenca this morning and it was qaurter to 12 (11 for you guys) I nailed it so i could get to the top and stop there. Got to the top with 2 mins to spare. Lovely and quiet and I thought nice timing. Stike of 12 I stood at the top overlooking the view to Formentor for those that know it, and about one min in thre german women turned up taking pictures of the view and gabbling on, I thought how apt. Then I had an extra mintue on the back of the rude germans. Walked back to bike to find a german woman having a pi55 in the bush next to her Harley davidson. Still we won. :roll:

Full respect to those that fell, We owe you a lot. (also I would have never been able to learn german)
  • Not to do with today,but, earlier this month there was a lot of press coverage over El Alamein and one of the veterans of that battle said "A lot of good young men died, and when I look around now I wonder why".

Hats off to him and TBH I was suprised his comment was broadcast. People who faught through an entire world war owe no government a thing. We're able to ride our bikes, speak our minds elect our leaders due to the sacrifice of these men and some of them have to choose between heat or eat. Disgusting!

Sorry, I don't mean this as a political point but when you look at how some have their noses in the trough it makes my blood boil.
    Tail end Charlie

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I stopped at 11 while out in Derbyshire. Ironically my silence was ruined by the sound of gunfire from a nearby clay pigeon shoot!
  • well said Frank. My grandad included.
  • And if you're going past a ceremony at 1100am, for goodness sake stop and pause for two minutes. It won't win you any awards but it will help improve cyclists standing in the community. I seem to recall last year, there were reports of cyclists passing alongside ceremonies and ignoring the silence.

But thats just my view.

Really?

Yes really and yes, I do judge others by it as is my right.
  • Cameron wore his poppy with pride in Saudi Arabia......whilst selling arms to one of the most despotic regimes in the middle east.....oh and he also demanded that UK arms dealers be allowed to by pass an EU sanctioned arms embargo on Syria....so sons and daughters can lose their lives again.....and then he stood at the cenotaph to pretend he knows what bravery is.

But thats just my view.

Really?

Yes really and yes, I do judge others by it as is my right.

Indeed, if nothing else it's a common decency - particularly remembering those from the world wars, who were normal and women who gave their lives to end a conflict that was not of their making.
  • If it means that much to you why not give up a day's cycling and actually attend the service? Or do you only care just enough in order to come over all pious and judge others of whom you actually know nothing about?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ^^^

I think you need to say who this is aimed at.
  • If it means that much to you why not give up a day's cycling and actually attend the service? Or do you only care just enough in order to come over all pious and judge others of whom you actually know nothing about?

Because I can do both quite well really, and maybe after doing other things I choose not to but like many others to simply stand and observe the silence.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion and that is that those who don't support it are not worth the air they breathe. Its nothing to do with piety but the simple contempt from those who refuse to acknowledge their existence depended upon others. But for them, probably nobody here would have been born.

Its not me "judging" anyone as nobody cares what my views are. They can believe what they want, as can I.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    A crowd of about seventy including myself gathered at the war memorial in our village yesterday. Just as a lad from the village was playing The Last Post to signal the start of the 2 minutes silence, some f***tard on a motorbike came down the high street and physically weaved his way through the crowd before accelerating away.

Impolite, disrespectful, and rude hardly seem strong enough words to describe this idiot.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You see that ^^^ sort of behaviour warrants some kind of comment and contempt.

I think what Rick is getting at is that just because someone doesn't have two minutes of silence; it doesn't mean they don't appreciate and respect the sacrifices made by those who went before (and after in an increasing number cases) them.

I don't wear a poppy and I didn't attend a ceremony, but do you think there's barely a day that goes by when I don't think about sacrifices made by my grandparents - and friends, luckily who survived - and am thankful for it?

So please; let's not judge folk for showing respect in their own ways.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    If it means that much to you why not give up a day's cycling and actually attend the service? Or do you only care just enough in order to come over all pious and judge others of whom you actually know nothing about?
    I agree, all this came about for soldiers of the first and second world wars. I have no problem with with paying respect to soldiers and civilians from what appears to be justified wars. However, I do feel great pity for soldiers and their families that have been and are being killed in the present era. Something tells me that politicians are taking comfort/justification from remembrance sunday for poor, inept and possibly criminal decisions in recent years. I could cry when i listen to PMQ's and hear leaders of parties paying piecemeal tribute to the latest fallen, before launching into even more boorish behaviour, no wonder veterans look around and wonder why!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    If it means that much to you why not give up a day's cycling and actually attend the service? Or do you only care just enough in order to come over all pious and judge others of whom you actually know nothing about?
    I agree, all this came about for soldiers of the first and second world wars. I have no problem with with paying respect to soldiers and civilians from what appears to be justified wars. However, I do feel great pity for soldiers and their families that have been and are being killed in the present era. Something tells me that politicians are taking comfort/justification from remembrance sunday for poor, inept and possibly criminal decisions in recent years. I could cry when i listen to PMQ's and hear leaders of parties paying piecemeal tribute to the latest fallen, before launching into even more boorish behaviour, no wonder veterans look around and wonder why!

I find it easier to consider the loss of life separate to the political causes of war.
  • rick_chasey
    my opinion and that is that those who don't support it are not worth the air they breathe. .

Really?
  • GiantMike wrote:

I find it easier to consider the loss of life separate to the political causes of war.

Indeed. For me, that is why we call it a sacrifice. The military can't choose their wars.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    . Its nothing to do with piety but the simple contempt from those who refuse to acknowledge their existence depended upon others. But for them, probably nobody here would have been born.

I'd say there's a fair good chance I would.

Do you then also feel appropriately guilty for the actions of some soldiers that are not worth celebrating?

Soldiers involved in the Mau Mau massacre for example.

Or does the rememberence only swing one way for you? As soon as you lace up your boots, point a gun in battle are you automatically a hero and worth remembering, regardless of whether you behave in an appropraite way or not?

It is a complicated issue.

Rememberence day was once a better day, where people would remember in their own way, often with a poppy or attended a ceremony. No hassle, no fuss.

Now it's turned into a massive baiting session, where people are pressured into 'remembering' in the way they see fit. That's not what it is about.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    . Its nothing to do with piety but the simple contempt from those who refuse to acknowledge their existence depended upon others. But for them, probably nobody here would have been born.

Now it's turned into a massive baiting session, where people are pressured into 'remembering' in the way they see fit. That's not what it is about.

exactly, and if you simply 'forget' its 'remembrance' sunday or remember/think about it in your own 'unique' way and keep riding your bike there will be people who label you a traitor or a waste of oxygen. It reminded me of a year or two back when i was with a group of friends and they baited me because i didn't want to buy a help for heroes rubber band when they all threw money into a bucket. I'm not one for just calling these unfortunate guys heroes because they happen to be in a situation not of their making. I mean no disrespect, just don't agree.

And to say you can separate war/loss of life from politics is music to the ears of those that cause wars.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....