Favourite / best TV documentaries/series

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Just read this - an up to date review about the World at War documentary on ITV.

Made me think of the one programme that changed my life more than any other - the Cold War series, which totally blew me away as a little kid. I have noticed it's often overlooked when people talk about BBC's Great War and the World at War. Maybe it's the lack of British involvement, who knows.

The footage was always outstanding, - often stuff the public had never seen. I mean, really really exciting. Even as a 10 year old I felt how amazing and interesting the st uff was. In both TW@W and TCW I love the interviews they manage to get. And I love how they let them speak. No interrogation, no hostility. Just, what they think. I think it worked particualrly well with the cold war since the cold war was so intrinsicly intangible most of the time, manifesting in tangible events, and was peculiarly top down in it's social nature, so, for example, interviews with Gorbachov carry so much more weight.

Just heard they released the Cold War on DVD in May this year. Guess what's going to be on my christmas list?

What is your favourite TV documentary series and why?

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Life - by the BBC was pretty cracker lackin
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • For me it has to be This Is Spinal Tap.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Just read this - an up to date review about the World at War documentary on ITV.

Made me think of the one programme that changed my life more than any other - the Cold War series, which totally blew me away as a little kid. I have noticed it's often overlooked when people talk about BBC's Great War and the World at War. Maybe it's the lack of British involvement, who knows.

The footage was always outstanding, - often stuff the public had never seen. I mean, really really exciting. Even as a 10 year old I felt how amazing and interesting the st uff was. In both TW@W and TCW I love the interviews they manage to get. And I love how they let them speak. No interrogation, no hostility. Just, what they think. I think it worked particualrly well with the cold war since the cold war was so intrinsicly intangible most of the time, manifesting in tangible events, and was peculiarly top down in it's social nature, so, for example, interviews with Gorbachov carry so much more weight.

Just heard they released the Cold War on DVD in May this year. Guess what's going to be on my christmas list?

What is your favourite TV documentary series and why?

Eh? Not involved in the Cold War? Or do you just mean the documentary? TW@W was very good, as was TCW; not exactly light viewing though. Not sure I could pick a favourite, but I quite like anything with Marcus du Sautoy, or the Big Science series on BBC4. Also, any decent arts docu. I find Imagine a bit hit & miss. That other guy is good, not Waldemar Januzcek, or Tim Marlow, the other one
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The series focusses largely on the US vs Russia (with a tiny bit of China).
  • rjsterry
    The series focusses largely on the US vs Russia (with a tiny bit of China).

Ah, misunderstood you.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Matthew Collings, that's the chap.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    For me it has to be This Is Spinal Tap.

It's a fine docu that one, although for me I think Bad News and More Bad News were grittier and more relevant to me.

Science wise I really liked Wonders Of The Stoner System:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ruBtLIvJM

Seriously though, John Pilgers documentaries are well worth investing some time watching:
    http://johnpilger.com/
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Carl Sagan's Cosmos is dated but still great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADUBcoEEHw
  • Band of Brothers was/is my all time favourite series.

For ongoing entertainment I enjoy Mythbusters.