Changing Forks

Redber67
Redber67 Posts: 19
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Not sure of the correct area to post this as my Hybrid bike sits between MTB & Road bike. I am thinking of changing my steel forks for carbon (Alu frame, hybrid bike). Looking for a slightly lesser rigid ride, and also to save some weight too. At this stage I am purely looking to see what is available and what sort of price I will have to consider paying so I can start putting a few pennies away each week. But after a week or two of scouring the net I don't think anything out there will "work" anyway. My head tube is 71º and 130mm high, and the fork rake is 55mm, axle to crown around 420mm. Steerer is 28.6mm and threaded (a move to unthreaded is planned if required). The 700c wheels are clad with 35mm tyres, although I will move to 32mm at a later stage. I have V-brakes.

The nearest forks I can find are around 45mm rake and an A to C of 405mm (i.e. cyclo cross Kinesis). Whether or not I should be changing my forks is clearly a separate question, but in the meantime do I presume therefore that the forks mentioned above will appreciably change the handling of my bike for the worse? And if so - does that mean I won't find a suitable fork anywhere?

Your expert opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments