2010 orange Kona padywaggon rear wheel

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Since mine got ruined.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get one? My google fu is quite strong and I didn't get very far.

I'm keen to have matching wheels. You may all laugh but I really liked the settup of it.

I could replace it with a standard wheel but it'd look w*nk.

I'm also loath to pay too much. The whole bike cost me £350 so anything too expensive I won't buy.

I'm really gutted about this.

Any one with any advice or help? I feel a bit lost and lonely without a commuter runnaround.

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Don't seem to be able to buy just the rear, but the colour is right...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/dish-mid-wheelset-ec037169

edit - or just £89 you could get a wheelset from v-sprint, there is a code on lfgss (will be black or silver though)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Go to a dealer and they will be able to order you one. However, when I ordered mine from Evans it took about 2 weeks and they got the wrong colour despite me being specific. In the end I sucked it up just to get back on the road.. Eventually the colour difference didn't bother me.

It only cost me £50 though which I was pleased with.

Is the rim damage definitely terminal? Can you not replace the spokes?
  • rick_chasey
    Go to a dealer and they will be able to order you one. However, when I ordered mine from Evans it took about 2 weeks and they got the wrong colour despite me being specific. In the end I sucked it up just to get back on the road.. Eventually the colour difference didn't bother me.

It only cost me £50 though which I was pleased with.

Is the rim damage definitely terminal? Can you not replace the spokes?

About 5 of the hols in the rim where the spoke meets have been ripped open, and the rim is significantly bent.

Realistically the rims is f*cked, the spokes are for sure, and I've had problems with the hub anyway.
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Hi all, long time lurker and first post, but us PaddyWagoners (if that is a word) have to stick together!

I have one sitting in my shed, upgraded the wheels last year. The rim is fine but the hub was on the way out, hence the upgrade. Not sure if the hub is serviceable or not. Only issue is I am in Southampton.

So if you don't get any luck elsewhere let me know and I am sure we can sort something out on postage. What would be the best option for posting something that size? You can have the wheel for free, it is only gathering dust.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Lefthook wrote:
    What would be the best option for posting something that size? You can have the wheel for free, it is only gathering dust.
    Chapeau
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Lefthook wrote:
    Hi all, long time lurker and first post, but us PaddyWagoners (if that is a word) have to stick together!

I have one sitting in my shed, upgraded the wheels last year.

So have I for the same reason.

I'm in West London which might be a bit easier to get to?

Might be best to check that they haven't changed the dropout spacing - mine's about five years old so could have been measured in cubits or something . . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Lefthook
    dhope wrote:
    Lefthook wrote:
    What would be the best option for posting something that size? You can have the wheel for free, it is only gathering dust.
    Chapeau

Well it is only effectively a rim, and an orange one at that. Who apart from a man who wears red trouser is going to be interested in that? :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Given that these hubs sound cr@p, wouldn't it be better to just shell out for some better wheels (HALO Aeroage are brilliant SS commuter wheels with sealed bearings). Ok, they don't do orange, but have loads of other colour options. #FalseEconomy
  • Lefthook
    Given that these hubs sound cr@p, wouldn't it be better to just shell out for some better wheels (HALO Aeroage are brilliant SS commuter wheels with sealed bearings). Ok, they don't do orange, but have loads of other colour options. #FalseEconomy

Would have to agree, I replaced with the Aeroage and they have been great. Stayed true despite some big hits on potholes and still run smooth with very little maintenance. Plus you can get them in purple or fluorescent yellow. So they can clash nicely with everything! I went for the yellow and regularly get comments on them, especially when doing sportives on the SS with them!

http://www.halorims.com/products-detail ... e=road&c=X

Picture of yellow is still on there but not listed below in the options. But I am sure a bit of shopping around will find some.
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers guys, going to go for a white halo rim on the back.

Anything I need to know about before I buy? 120mm OK?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hal ... r-ec016838
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    edited November 2012
    Why not go for V-Sprint? You can get a pair for £89 with the lfgss discount code, or for £129 with sealed bearing miche hubs. And they come in a range of tasteless colours!

http://www.v-sprintwheels.com/pages/tra ... ustom.html
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • 120mm is no hassl unless you have a very difficult chain line, I bought som 5mm spaces to get me from 120 to 130. My spaces are up for sale on LFGSS as part of my tifosi track rear wheel (in black, bladed spoke, semi deep section) £30.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.