mud guards

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
going dh, at points i can't see from all the spray from the front wheel even with goggles. Which mud guard does a better job at stopping this – the one that straps to the underneath of the frame or the fabric one between crown and fork brace or is it a case of both do the same thing? Prefer to only have one obviously

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bender Fender from Mucky Nutz
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i have both on mine and fins that they stop the majority of the spray getting onto the face, not all of it but most,
    the easiest way for the front forks is to pop a section of old innertube in between the crown and bridge, weve all got old innnertubes about and cable ties, sikmple 5 minute job, you can then see if you think its worth the £10-15 for the posh ones,
    mt down tube one ive had for Years, came free with a magazine back in the 90's! has bene on 4 bikes now, you can pick them up from a fiver iirc.
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    For spray on goggles I'd say a neoprene doodad thing. I think I'm the only person in the world without a stash of old innertubes. I repair all mine because I'm a pauper. The downtube ones are good, but they cut more spray that would hit you in the chest while your standing.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    cooldad wrote:
    Bender Fender from Mucky Nutz

By far the best £8 you'll spend on keeping your face clean.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    the easiest way for the front forks is to pop a section of old innertube in between the crown and bridge, weve all got old innnertubes about and cable ties, sikmple 5 minute job, you can then see if you think its worth the £10-15 for the posh ones

This is what I've done and it's works really well, occasionally muck/water does flick up but it's a lot better than nothing. But if you've got a tenner spare then the mucky nutz comes well recommended. It's on the list for me.
  • pesky_jones
    will the mucky nutz be ok on my forks, i have manitou sherman breakouts and the fork brace is behind the stanchions... see my sig on the orange
  • pesky_jones
    has anyone got the fork brace behing the stanchions with a mudguard like the fender bender?

worst comes to worst il test out one between the crown and fork brace with the inner tube before buying one, and/or the mudguard you strap to underside of frame
  • send muckynutz an email, they're pretty quick to respond.

I'd be doubtful that it'd work properly though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah, doubt it will fit, although they have a new, bigger one out.
    If not go for a Neoguard - the stuff that goes in your eyes is thrown forwards by the tyre then you ride into it. (The homemade inner tube idea works fine)
    Crudcatchers on the downtube are useless for that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools