Giving blood an riding home?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
has anyone ever given blood an cycled home afterwards?

the blood place in Liverpool is a peppermint nightmare to get home from - but i pass it on my way home on my bike an was wondering if i'm likely to keel over after giving a bit of blood?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    How far home is it?

I gave blood and felt fine. Sat down and ate a bit for a few mins to be sure, then cycled home a couple of miles no problem. Affects different people differently though, one woman passed out just trying to leave the room.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudcow007
    i've given before but then always driven home afterwards..

probably about 10 miles or so

its an excuse to eat chocolate an biscuits too!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    If it was me I probably would do it, just take it really easy, and make yourself take a few minutes to sit before you set off. If you feel at all woozy on the bike, stop.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've given blood at work in the afternoon and then cycled 5.5 miles home a couple of hours later.

Must admit I'd be a bit reluctant to cycle 10 miles immediately afterwards, but I might give it a try I suppose. I'd take it super easy and have a back up plan if you do start to feel light headed (cash for taxi/friend or OH on stand by to come pick you up).
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I once gave blood and then played rugby. It probably wasn't the best idea, but at least I was woozily unaware of the pain.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Done it loads of times, on my route home I have stopped off, gave blood and continued on, or have given blood and then rode home. Bear in mind any previous experiences of feeling dizzy or weak after donating as to what you should do. I have always felt fine.
  • bompington wrote:
    I once gave blood and then played rugby. It probably wasn't the best idea, but at least I was woozily unaware of the pain.

That's nothing. I've given blood a few times WHILE playing rugby. :evil:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I usually give blood and cycle 5miles home, although it's usually a sluggish 5 miles but not really had any problems.
  • I always ride home, normally 5/7 miles back last time was 9 miles felt fine. didn't flog myself nor take it too easy, route home was on fairly quick roads so averaged 18mph.

i've yet to feel light headed, though since I often do it after work my iron levels are normally borderline.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    mudcow007 wrote:
    its an excuse to eat chocolate an biscuits too!

Why would you need an excuse to eat chocolate biscuits? :?

Cheers,
    W.

(Not given blood since exposure to Chagas disease risk in Bolivia but wondering if they're less picky now...)
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    Well, considering the average human has about 5 to 6 litres of blood and they usually take about 500ml plus a few sample vials, you are looking at about a ten percent reduction in volume. This will affect your blood pressure and your body's ability to process oxygen.
    Your body will very quickly replace the volume of fluid lost within hours for most people, as if you were dehydrated.
    Your body will also immediately call on the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells, more quickly, to replace the ones lost, but this will take about two weeks to get you back to the level you were at before. This process is triggered by the release of the natural hormone EPO. (sound familiar???)
    Straight after giving blood you will experience both these effects at their maximum.
    Please listen to your body and listen to the people that are there to assist you on the evening.
  • Adskis wrote:
    they usually take about 500ml plus a few sample vials

That must be nearly an armful. An oldie but goodie
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • I gave blood and rode home on Wednesday - mind you, I gave blood to the sodding dog that bit me.....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Adskis wrote:
    ..... This process is triggered by the release of the natural hormone EPO. (sound familiar???)
    Straight after giving blood you will experience both these effects at their maximum
    Maybe that's what happened to Lance....... :wink:
    Mark Twain
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Maybe they should dole out vials of EPO along with the weak squash and biccies?
  • mudcow007
    Adskis wrote:
    ..... This process is triggered by the release of the natural hormone EPO. (sound familiar???)
    Straight after giving blood you will experience both these effects at their maximum

so i will become as fast as lance?

winner i might donate 2 lots
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Adskis wrote:

so i will become as fast as lance?

winner i might donate 2 lots
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Mark Twain
  • If you read the USADA - Reasoned Decision about Lance. They state that in the early days of blood doping, Lance and his buddies extracted 500ml of blood, then set off on a training run. When they returned they laughed about their poor climbing ability, they had to get off their bikes and walk up the longest of the hills.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • One thing that vitally important is that your body will need fluid to replace the blood. So straight after donating, go and have 3 or 4 pints in the pub and then cycle home. Be safe!
  • mudcow007
    One thing that vitally important is that your body will need fluid to replace the blood. So straight after donating, go and have 3 or 4 pints in the pub and then cycle home. Be safe!

in the spirit of keeping healthy

i wont have to drink 8 pints of Guinness though will I??
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    In a previous life I gave blood - the full armful - had the obligatory tea & biscuits before cycling 4 miles back home at a steady pace then played squash later that evening & won. So you can. But if you fall over it's not our fault for saying you can.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you want an informed answer from someone with direct experience, you might be better off asking here:
    http://53x12.com/do/show?page=forum

Edit: Probably not a good idea to follow the link if you're contemplating a career in pro cycling at any point...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I've never had to do more than 3 (hilly) miles afterwards, but I've never had a problem. Depends on how you personally tend to feel after donating. Indulge in the free food and drink before leaving, take it a little easier and should be fine. I've asked the donation staff about it before who seem to think it's not a big deal if you cycle regularly...
  • mudcow007
    bloody marvelous

ok i just booked my self in to get a little prick on Tuesday

if i'm not on here Wednesday then i've probably fainted somewhere and more than likely getting molested by an urban fox somewhere
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    mudcow007 wrote:
    has anyone ever given blood an cycled home afterwards?

A few times. I've been fine on the ride home - I don't cane it though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wow, who knew blood doping was so rife in SCR? Have you all forgotten? Its not a race. ITS NOT A RACE!

WADA, where's that test for plasticisers....?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.