Short shorts?

mk1markfalkirk
mk1markfalkirk Posts: 93
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Its time for me to finally bite the bullet and order myself proper cycling shorts, I've been using cycle short "liners" under normal shorts for the past 2 years, Fighting off all things Lycra and slowly giving in piece by piece. First the race jerseys and then the arm warmers etc etc...

What are the benefits of regular shorts as opposed to bib shorts and vice versa? this is the first thing I'm stuck with.

Also, happily most of my weekend rides end up at the pub, Whilst the aerodynamic crotch and ass hugging features of Lycra may be ideal for riding, for this I find they are not ideal and can become a little, um, awkward.

Are there any middle of the road, relatively tight cycling shorts out there? somewhere in between road and MTB?

Or should I just mtfu?

thanks in advance, Mark

Comments

• Bib shorts are the best option. They hold the pad in place very nicely and there is no need for a thick waist band. They are very comfortable, and I would not want to use 'conventional' cycling shorts.

As for 'somewhere between road and MTB'? I can't really imagine such a thing. You either have form-fit lycra or you have 'baggy'. Jerseys may come in 'relaxed' fit, but I can't see how that would work with shorts. I could well be wrong. But there's an easy solution: wear some baggy shorts on top.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bib shorts all the way - or you have a waistband compressing you, or the shorts sagging.

It is November mind you - so I'd only buy shorts if you've unpadded tights to go over the top.

No idea on pub fashion. I prefer to come home and shower and then walk to the pub.

Maybe the MTBers have things a little less lycra-ey ?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    A pair of these over lycra bib shorts. (you can get them for aroud £40 on ebay)

http://road.cc/content/review/61917-roh ... der-shorts
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Try Endura Hummvee's http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

In black they ae fairly non descript and the "liner" clicks into the waistband. Even although these are my preffered choice of baggies i now wear them with bib shorts as it saves on the compression around your waist.
  • Thanks for the replies folks, Just gonna order a pair of bib shorts and embrace it. The shorts above are way too baggy for me unfortunately but thanks anyway!
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Yes just do it, you'll wonder what the fuss was about after a few rides.
  • hipshot wrote:
    Yes just do it, you'll wonder what the fuss was about after a few rides.

+ lots
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Winter is coming so get Winter Bibs.
    After trying out countless ones I think DHB is quite good value for money and good fit.
    If you want the best then go for ASOS bibs.
  • The sizing guides for these bib shorts are ridiculous, coming in at 5ft10/11 I should be a size medium. every size medium however comes with a 35" waist! I'm a 31. urgh. just need to order a few pairs and send the ill-fitting ones back
  • Just picked up some bib shorts from Decathlon, damn cheap at £20 but look to be very good quality.

Comfortable as hell! I've been so hard done by for the last 2 years, what was I thinking not getting them sooner :shock:

Feels like I'm riding bare arsed in them though, such a strange feeling, what with having no underwear on. Suppose I'l get used to it, maybe.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I would wear undies otherwise your bibs will get a bit unpleasant. For a typical 3 to 4 hour ride I will wear undies, short liners and bibs. On endurance rides (MTB) I have ridden with 3 pairs of padded shorts. Which while a bit bulky meant no chaffing despite beating in the saddle 13 hours.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    diy wrote:
    I would wear undies otherwise your bibs will get a bit unpleasant. For a typical 3 to 4 hour ride I will wear undies, short liners and bibs. On endurance rides (MTB) I have ridden with 3 pairs of padded shorts. Which while a bit bulky meant no chaffing despite beating in the saddle 13 hours.

Erm, wash the bib shorts?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • diy
    Of course, yes you need to do that too but you can get cycling specific undies
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    noooooooooooooooooooooo! underwear under shorts is all wrong. And padded liners are for going under MTB baggies instead of underwear.

The whole point is the chamois pad sits next to the skin to prevent chaffing. If you have a pair of duds on that have a seam in all the wrong places, you effectively get a sweaty piece of ridged cotton between you and the pad. Your lucky that you've only being riding 3-4 hours so you haven't been affected yet.

oh, and apply a bit of chamis cream / sudocream to your bits / the pad before you ride.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Defo dont wear undies....
  • Done 100k from London to Cambridge yesterday and the shorts were great, No shuffling about in the saddle trying to get comfortable, no sore ass today, Ideal.

Got a bit weird when we went to the pub for some food on arrival in Cambridge and The realization of what I was wearing really set in :oops: Few beers later and all was fine though!
  • diy
    No worse than your avg motorcyclist dressed either as a power ranger or something from the village people ;)