Help me understand tyre combinations

Woodmonkey
Woodmonkey Posts: 412
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
What is the thinking behind different tyres at each end ?
pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One for traction when pedalling, one for grip when cornering.
    I use exactly the same tyres each end.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I usually run the same both ends, having a pair for summer and one for winter, but in winter as it gets muddier then I have 2 extra options for the rear jst for traction.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks guys, so, i have ardents at each end which came on the bike, it,s coming up for a year old and looking like replacement time. it makes more sense to me to buy one good tyre than a budget pair due to cash constraints, question is, what do i get to go with the ardent and which end do i run them? i mostly ride pretty muddy trails (anyone who has done the viking challenge will get the pic) mixed with trips to sherwood pines and the peak district. i figure i can get another for spring/summer. any idea's appreciated or do i just get another ardent as i'm pretty happy with them.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo