Night ride

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
As a beginner is it wise to take to the road for an evening ride out.

The dark nights and working every day except the weekends are killing me! Recently bought the bike and have just had the one opportunity to go for a ride (last Sunday). I'm itching to get back on the saddle.
The roads local to me are fairly well lit, I have good lights on the bike. What's to stop me going out?

Is evening riding better left to the lighter spring/summer months? Do you still get out and about during the darker nights?

Comments

• Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    2 words.... Endura Luminite.

Not the most athletic cut or the greatest material from a breathability standpoint but you'll be seen for sure!
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Philinmerthyr
    Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
    edited November 2012
    If you've got good lights, there is no reason not to get out and ride. :lol:
  • I prefer night rides ... I feel safer once I'm all lit up and generally there's less traffic of an evening :) - Get out there!
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    get out and ride..long as not icy no reason not to.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Rather than a night ride when it will be very dark, I prefer to get my miles in during the week by commuting when possible. If riding on country roads without street lights when pitch dark, you will need very good lights to see the road in front.

My commute is a 36 mile round trip and try to do it a couple of times a week. I avoid it when weather bad, but as forecast was good today, I went on the bike. Left house at 6:15am - a bit dark at first but nearly light by 7. Set-off back home about 3:15pm and getting darkish from about 4:30 as I neared home. However I would not have the energy or inclination to do a 36 mile ride after I got home work at night at this time of year.
  • Night rides are nice; I like the peace and quiet. A bit of common sense - sensible speed mainly - and you'll be fine.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I do a mid-week evening ride of 25-ish miles all year round except when it is icy. Just get good lights and go for it.

I use a Lumicycle LED headlamp which allows me to ride at full speed on unlit country lanes, but there are lots of cheaper options.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Stuuu
    Stuuu Posts: 46
    I enjoy a nice night ride. It is the only way I can cycle mid-week to get over the withdrawal symptoms of not cycling since the weekend. I don't do any major distance (about 6 miles) on roads that I know the quality of the surface of. I don't like a surprise pothole.

Bright jacket, big light on the front, flashy rear light and off I go.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I'm a fan of night riding

https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/night-riding/

Lights for bikes have come on a long way last few years. If you have a laney loop you already know somewhat and a powerful light it's probably safer than during the day: you can see cars coming by their headlights a long way off.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    On the road at 5.30am this morning. As others have said it can be quite enjoyable riding in relative peace and quiet. As ling as you have some decent lights and some good quality clothing then there is nothing to stop you. Regular commuting is good for the mileage - do it before snow & ice arrives!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Rather than ride in rush hour - I like to ride later. Less traffic so you're more visible. Go to town on relfectives and always have at least two rear lights on and carry spare torches/batteries.

Watch out for badgers though - they're maniacs.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    Badgers on bikes ! I didn't even know they could ride.
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    Its the bloomin dumb pheasants, grouses and little deer that (until today at least) have been the most hazardous to me recently
  • Night riding by me is pretty scary!! There is zero street lighting, all country lanes. The wildlife is a big problem, I've almost come a cropper with deer a few times, and Badgers are notorious for charging out right in front of you. Some of the lanes are narrow enough to put you in danger of cars coming the other way, to the point I don't bother anymore.
    Ridley Orion
  • I had a superb ride in the dark and pouring rain tonight. It was only 13 miles and around an hour but it was great to get out. Waterproof kit and decent lights make it really enjoyable. :lol:
  • Planned on going out for a tootle round after work this evening.

Thought better of it when the heavens opened and the rain lashed down. Didn't see the point of risking a tumble as the roads would most likely be a bit greasy. Oh well, got the full weekend to try and get another ride in.

Quick question: You go out for a ride and it's raining. Apart from the wet weather jacket, what else would you wear both in summer and winter?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Night riding is great, especially with decent warm kit. Just make sure you can deal with simple mechanicals, as not much fun if you get caught out miles from home in the dark. Small spare torch in rear jersey pocket is useful just in case! and look out for them thar potholes....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Planned on going out for a tootle round after work this evening.

Thought better of it when the heavens opened and the rain lashed down. Didn't see the point of risking a tumble as the roads would most likely be a bit greasy. Oh well, got the full weekend to try and get another ride in.

Quick question: You go out for a ride and it's raining. Apart from the wet weather jacket, what else would you wear both in summer and winter?

Riding in the rain is great. Avoid manholes and take cornering carefully and it is safe. Overshoes, a skullcap under your helmet, tights and decent gloves put you in your own world. I would also suggest you ride with lights in heavy rain to be seen even if it is broad daylight.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    As a beginner is it wise to take to the road for an evening ride out.

Another option - early morning rides - nipping out at ~ 4:30 - 5.00 am can make for a decent ride - very little traffic around at that time (taxis mainly) - in addition to decent bike-mounted lights consider a small helmet torch and possibly some high-vis/reflective tape on the back of your helmet (easy enough to apply it so that it looks good).
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm just back from a few hours mountain biking in the dark, great fun. But during the week I'm in Aberdeen and I tend to do 20 miles after work on country roads. As someone else mentioned I feel more visible and safer at night than in the daytime. Get some decent lights and a head torch and enjoy yourself. Anything that helps maintain my fitness over the winter must be good!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I've done a lot of night riding after work, I stick to quiet lanes I know well and it's ok with a good light. However, the last few winters have been cold and icy, which has kept me off the bike for a month or two.

So this year I am going to bring the bike to work and ride in the lunch hour. I've got a great 25k loop with lots of sprinting type hills on reasonably quite roads I can do in around an hour. Means I am riding in the daylight in the middle of the day. An hour isn't much, so I have to make it a 'quality' ride - ie max hr as often as possible and attacking the hills out of the saddle, etc. Some other bikers at work may well join in too!
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • I enjoy night riding. I must admit I didn't used to, I found it eary as I was mostly commuting along country lanes. It is easy to forget just how dark it really is when it's dark! (If you see what I mean...!) Tomorrow I'll be part of a small group out for a group ride after work, it should be interesting at least.