How long 'should' a headset and BB last?

roverthehill
roverthehill Posts: 155
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I know, long long is a piece of string....

Bought the hardtail 11 months ago and the bikeshop reckon I need the bottom bracket and headset replaced. I've did a decent bit of riding: 2/3 times a week, usually 1-2 hours per ride. No massive jumps, but a fair bit of mud...

I rinse it down with a normal garden hose. The only lubing I do is to the chain though so maybe that is what I am doing wrong?

Just wondering if this is 'expected wear n tear' or something more to it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seen them last a lot less than that! They may just need new bearings. Cleaning them out routinely helps. With the BB, it does depend what sort is fitted though. 250 hours is not bad going!
  • thanks supersonic!

I'm hoping to go on a maintainence course so hopfully learn how to clean the bearings.

cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read 'Read this first' below. It's all fairly simple - you don't need a course.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've now gotten cleaning my headset and BB down to less then 30 minutes. The BB is a Hollowtech and fairly easy to take off. I do this once a month to 6 weeks depending on what weather I've been riding. Both the headset and BB have last over 3 years and only recently done over 100 miles riding in the Cairngorms, so no easy life for my MTB.

I use Finish line teflon grease which seems to be very thick and sticky and not easily washed off.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The headset on my commuter is 6 years old, came out my MTB frame and was all rusty, greased and fitted and not touched in the 3 years it's been in there and dones 3000 miles, still smooth as silk but it is a roller bearing cartridge.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.