How to set front forks

whyte529
whyte529 Posts: 4
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
I am totally new to mountain biking and after giving a trail centre ago on a 25 year old MTB with no suspension (i managed to stay on it on some Black runs LOL.) recently I bought a Whyte 529 which has Rock Shox XC28 forks. I did even more Black runs on it and some fairly big drops but my forks only compressed about 1/3. My mates Stump Jumper compressed way more than that on the same jumps and seems considerably softer.
Being a newbie I cant for the life of me understand what I need to do to alter their stiffness, I know you have to set the sag and all that but I have no idea where exactly on the forks do I put air in or take air out or what to twiddle, I have no idea what side of the forks do what.

Can anyone give me the idiots guide how to do this, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These are coil forks. There is a preload adjuster atop one of the legs that sets sag. If you can't get the amount you want then you have to change the actual spring.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To ad that even if you can get the amount of sag you want, it still doesn't guarentee you'll get full travel if the coil is too stiff for your body weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ah, so maybe im stuck with them, thanks anyway.

Perhaps I could upgrade them at some point?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can change the spring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • HI referring to my previous post about my Rockshox XC28 being relatively non adjustable I am a little disappointed but still like my bike overall. Could anyway make a suggestion as to what forks I could fit to my Whyte 529 to improve it and gain the adjustability I need? Many Thanks
  • cooldad
    Depends on your budget. Air are easier to adjust so Recon Silver air, Recon Gold air, or Reba.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Front forks! Do they make them for the back? :shock:
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • cooldad
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    Front forks! Do they make them for the back? :shock:
    Yes but they are rare.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woodmonkey wrote:
    Front forks! Do they make them for the back? :shock:

As the op states he's new to mtb, bet sarcasm was just what he was looking for :roll:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive