Chain jamming - rear mech...

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just installed a new medium cage XT rear mech and a XT 2 x 10 chainset.
All seemed to go easily enough, but the chain occasionally jams as I shift to the 11t sprocket.
Also fitted a new KMC EL 10 speed chain, too.
Just seems that the cage moves down too quickly and the chain hasn't quite left the 12t sprocket, so buckles and jams!
This has only happened on the bike stand so far, so no damage caused, but I guess it could get bloody expensive out on the trail, with some effort through the pedals!
Is it just down to the new 'sticky' chain, or have I missed something fundamental on the installation. There isn't very much room between the XT mech (where it connects to hanger) and the 11t cog. :?
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    b screw adjustment perhaps?
  • Sounds like poor adjustment. Start again.

Are you sure your hanger is straight?
  • hopper1
    No issues with the previous XT mech (long cage).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    low stop not set right allowing it to overshift past the 11T? Also it may shift faster and not lifting off the teeth on the 12T it's meant to and therefor snagging.

B-screw as stated.

It MUST be specific to your bike or setup, it's not like everyone with an XT med' has the problem!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like poor adjustment. Start again.
    This
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hopper1
    Doh!... It was a fundamental error... I didn't hold onto the mech when I tightened the bolt to the hanger, so it moved clockwise, hence the close proximity of 11t cog to the mech!
    Never had that happen before... :oops: