lbs has written off my bike

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
The lbs has finished report on my bike after the accident and its a write off from the point of view the repairs would cost more than the bike was new.I was expecting it but still gutted as its only seven weeks old and i got vey attached to it. :cry: All my gear also totalled as all cut off me by ambulance so its start a new.this gear was also all under 7 weeks old.
Driver has admitted liability so its a wait out on insurance job but at least i should get my money back.
On the plus side i should be well enough to ride after xmas and a 2013 defy comp 2 will be waiting at the shop.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Probably several bits on your Defy that you can keep for spares so if you get a new bike on the other guy's insurance then it won't be so bad. Sorry to hear about the crash though.
    More problems but still living....
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Geez that sucks big time, hope no serious injury to you. Just hang on till new year and a shiny new bike :)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    When I had my crash 3 years ago the bike shop wrote off my bike but my dad/mechanic managed to repair it, however the driver's insurance paid out for a new one as well....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iplod
    iplod Posts: 83
    When you said that you were soooo excited because you were having a new bike in your previous post, i didn't realise that you had been involved in an accident and had your current bike trashed. Really sorry to hear that. Hope that you were not too seriously injured and that you have a speedy recovery.
    SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

Trek 5.2 madone 2007
    Ribble audax/winter 2010
    Bianchi infinto 2012
  • elderone
    cheers lads
    didn,t the insurance want your old bike then?

iplod,no worries matey and healing going well so cant complain.
  • Headhuunter
    elderone wrote:
    cheers lads
    didn,t the insurance want your old bike then?

iplod,no worries matey and healing going well so cant complain.
    Nope.... They just stumped up the cash
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    When I had my crash 3 years ago the bike shop wrote off my bike but my dad/mechanic managed to repair it, however the driver's insurance paid out for a new one as well....

Yeah, but the LBS would have factored in PAID man-hours into it.

I would try and get the bike back to harvest any non-broken parts and get the full insurance payout for a new one.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    be careful - if your bike is an insurance write off, and you accept the pay out, everything of your old bike is the property of the insurer. so canibalising it could be viewed as theft.

take the money, thank your lucky stars you are able to ride again , and screw the driver's insurance for the non-bike damages.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I really doubt the Insurers want to pick up a trashed bike. They've never done it in my experience anyway. Check with the LBS and see what you can get back.
  • Headhuunter
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    be careful - if your bike is an insurance write off, and you accept the pay out, everything of your old bike is the property of the insurer. so canibalising it could be viewed as theft.

take the money, thank your lucky stars you are able to ride again , and screw the driver's insurance for the non-bike damages.
    Well it was 3 years ago now so I doubt they're going to be asking for it back now.... If they do I'll tell them it's too late, it's been chucked out...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

Well it was 3 years ago now so I doubt they're going to be asking for it back now.... If they do I'll tell them it's too late, it's been chucked out...

They haven't got any right to your old bike anyway. They have taken the view (based on the lbs report) that it isn't economic to repair, so they are providing you with a new bike / funds to buy a new bike. What happens to the old bike has nothing to do with them. Imagine you spilled a bottle of red wine on your carpet and your home insurance paid for a new one - do you think they'd give a toss if you put the old carpet down in the garage?!
  • The insured goods become the property of the insurer, but they are unlikely to get involved with a bike as not economically viable in most cases.
    12 year old claud butler MTB
    2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)
  • elderone
    I have bike back home now and lbs reckon they never had insurance claim a bike back from them..guess not worth it from a financial side for insurance.Bike can just go in shed until all sorted.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    BigMat wrote:
    They haven't got any right to your old bike anyway. They have taken the view (based on the lbs report) that it isn't economic to repair, so they are providing you with a new bike / funds to buy a new bike. What happens to the old bike has nothing to do with them. !
    wrong on both counts - you make the claim, they pay out, and they 'own' whats left of the original - so they have every right
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    They have every right to it but they won't ask for it... Keep it in the shed/garage/spare room for 6 months... Use parts if necessary, if they ever ask for it then hand it over with the original parts back on - just don't SELL anything :)
  • They never took my broken bike away from me and they've already paid up for that part of the claim. However a settlement for my broken body is still ongoing. The accident was last May!
  • elderone
    cougie wrote:
    I really doubt the Insurers want to pick up a trashed bike. They've never done it in my experience anyway. Check with the LBS and see what you can get back.
    the bike is back here and it will sit and wait out for things to get sorted... :cry:
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    The bike would be the property of the insurer but only if they want it. They will either ask for it straight away or not at all.

From their point of view, it is only worth recovering the bike if the value of any remaining parts is more than the cost of physically recovering it, assessing the bike and valuing the parts, removing them and selling them. In the case of a bike it just won't be worth it.