Bike for sale in faraway places

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
A colleague up here in Inverness is looking to buy a road bike so is signed up to Gumtree.

There seem to be some very nice road bikes at bargain prices being sold on some of the islands off the Scottish coast...

After some aborted attempts to go and see these bikes ("sorry, mate it's sold" - cockney accent, heavy traffic in the background - Ilse of Skye...?) he's beginning to wonder if this is either a scam or bikes of dodgy provenance.

Anybody any background or thoughts? If it sounds too good to be true.....
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Go and see them? Surely the traditional method is to pay via Western Union and they deliver the bike... erm... never.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited November 2012
    Go and see them? Surely the traditional method is to pay via Western Union and they deliver the bike... erm... never.

Last one was in Skye (easy enough to get to) - the latest two are in Shetland (harder)

ETA - he's going to contact the bloke and ask if a "friend on the island" can pop over and take a look.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Anybody any background or thoughts? .....
    yes scam.

for many take the first line of the advert and put in to google and you will see it being sold all over the place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive never known anything being sold on gumtree to be legit to be honest
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Go and see them? Surely the traditional method is to pay via Western Union and they deliver the bike... erm... never.

Last one was in Skye (easy enough to get to) - the latest two are in Shetland (harder)

ETA - he's going to contact the bloke and ask if a "friend on the island" can pop over and take a look.

They are a scam. Like Nick says, google the ad and you'll see it all over the shop.
  • mudcow007 wrote:

Sheet - maybe I'm the only person ever to have sold something legit on there :oops:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcow007 wrote:

Sheet - maybe I'm the only person ever to have sold something legit on there :oops:

Maybe you stole whatever you sold and have succeeded in putting it out of your mind?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I bought my paddy wagon off the guy who worked at the bike shop at the end of the road via gumtree.

Four years later - i snapped off the head of the mudguard lug bolt as it had seized.

Complete scam.

I blame wiggle
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Maybe you stole whatever you sold and have succeeded in putting it out of your mind?

Ooh - you might be right. Anybody had a built-in under-counter freezer nicked....?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yup, scam.

The idea is that the punter will send some funds to secure the purchase prior to going to get it.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.